Clutch Skyhawk GT5 wont disengage when clutch lever pulled

Success doesn't last long. Everything is installed correctly, the clutch lever disengages the engine allowing me to peddle up to speed. But when I drop the clutch I'm able to peddle twice and then nothing. The engine doesn't start. This is a brand new engine and I've heard of them sticking and generally being hard to start right out of the box, so I'm gonna keep trying since now my sprocket is true and I wont throw my chain. Any suggestions would be appreciated, you all have helped immensely so far.

Please give us more info....what exactly happens?

It's not like the provided thread as it has a spark plug in and the rear wheel can spin freely when I have the clutch lever pulled in. To try and start the engine I've been locking the clutch lever in and peddling like a mad man for a good distance before releasing the clutch lever. When this happens I am able to peddle two more revolutions, hearing a pop or chug from the engine, and then I can't peddle any more. I've tried different carb settings and different throttle settings but no dice.

Is it to hard to peddle or does it lock up? (Please do not be offended) How much do you weigh? On my first start it takes a while to get it started.....meaning pedaling with the clutch engaged and turning the motor for a bit.

A good hill is beneficial to a new start. Also a little gear oil in the air intake and spark plug hole helps lubricate things first, especially if it hasn't started yet and you're turning that engine over this much to try and get it started. Also you can act like your trying to start it for the first time, but with the spark plug out so it will turn over easier and get everything lubed up, dont be afraid of adding oil to make things move easier.

Next take of the carb and squirt a little gas in there and try starting it that way with the carb off. (You might have a stuck float in your carb) If its not starting, then you have the coil hooked up incorrectly or a dead plug. Also if your running the cns carb make sure the top vent tube to the carb is disconnected from the carb intake although it should still start with it connected.

Last edited:
It locks up, I'm 175 and can't get the pedals to turn at all. I'm definitely going to try it on a nice steep hill. I've tried to take out the spark plug but i bent the included spark plug/ engine sprocket tool.

What are everyone's thoughts on towing the bike to start it? Sounds like its a good option if pedaling doesn't do the trick.

Towing it to bump start it should work, just don't tie the pull rope to the bike!
Seriously though, if you have to go to that extreme, something is amiss.
Is the engine seized? Can you turn the engine over by hand?

Not quite by hand, but I can turn the engine sprocket with a spark plug tool and I can push the bike a little bit and have it make a little put-put sound, so it is turning over. the spark plug does work, I think it just needs to get up to speed to work things loose. I think I'm going to keep the engine engaged and pull it up to speed. Or do you think I should tow it disengaged and then pop the clutch when its going a good clip?

With the spark plug removed you should be able to turn the engine over easily by turning the rear wheel, clutch engaged of course.
There really should be nothing that needs to get "worked loose" for the engine to start.
What spark plug are you using? Is it too long and hitting the piston?

Hold in the clutch lever, get up to a good clip, then smoothly but quickly release the clutch lever. Do not just let go of it. Judging by what you are describing, be prepared for the rear wheel to lock up though.
Whenever I pedal start my engine when it is cold I get up to approx. 10 MPH, stand up on the pedals while still pedaling, and release the clutch lever and pedal like I am climbing a hill. It usually starts in 10 feet or so. If I remain seated while pedal starting it hurts my knees and I usually loose speed before the engine starts. When the engine is hot I can start it easily while still seated and pedaling easy.

Back