Snapping on the Spoke Ring

I think the split bolts would have to be more of a solid mount than epoxy glue..he he he. I still have to get those....been fighting with my lower mount strap to get better belt wear:)

agreed :) but it does avoid rigidity...another valid (bicycle) wheel-danger. i'm merely suggesting a happy-medium for the common MB-rider using common bicycle wheels.

if you want to start counting on the (bicycle) wheel assembly itself to take torque it wasn't designed for, then we're talking about building a proper wheel that won't need reinforcing. i believe my (racing) GEBE/Velocity wheelset to be one such example, i hope to prove that in september.

back on point: despite my new twist, the original discussion of light ring-"locks" is a very intriguing (and seemingly effective) fix for the folks who have a "slippery" ring. imo, said "slip" can be minimized by tieing the other side and reducing uneven flexing...and adding our ring-locks would result in about as strong a DIY-wheel as the home builder could hope for.

like all of us, i'm waiting to see some data on the minimum number of ring-locks we need to get the result we want.

:cool:

You kindof lost me with the first sentence.

Anyhoo,I was not trying to give the brush to your idea. I mentioned that other people agree thus giving extra credibility to your idea.

"if you want to start counting on the (bicycle) wheel assembly itself to take torque it wasn't designed for, then we're talking about building a proper wheel that won't need reinforcing. i believe my (racing) GEBE/Velocity wheelset to be one such example, i hope to prove that in september."

Indeed most every motorized bike owner has a wheel assembly that takes torque far more than designed for. Torque that bends and twists the rim in several planes. Kind of like if one held a large frisbee in both hands and twisted it back and forth. And then added to that motion forcing your hands together as if to fold it in half. While twisting it back and forth. Thats what the motorized bike rim goes thru a thousand times a minute while in motion.

So far in this thread you and i have been exchanging ideas that are complimentary. You coming up with ways to hold the drive ring fast. I've been thinking on how to improve performance of the rear rim.

I fully agree a drive ring / rim combo that is virtually stress proof is the inevitable and the next evolution in the motorized bike. The rims are out there. It's just a matter of mating the GEBE drive ring to it. Once that happens, which is inevitable, it will be a short time before the low-ball, low-range top mph for a motorized bike will be 40+mph. As far as the popularity of motorized bike; we are sitting on a power keg., peripherally anyway. GEBE is at the dead center having the best design on the market.

But in the mean time, we continue to brainstorm on how to have the the most locked in drive ring and the most arrow straight rim with the parts and more importantly; the ideas available.

Last edited:
of course we're working together... :)

all i meant was a making a subpar wheel too-rigid can be just as bad as a too "sloppy" one.

i know, i can hear it now..."well, why didn't you just say that?"

Last edited:
Back