Suggestions for Caliper Brakes

Carl Walichnowski

Local time
5:48 PM
So I've decided to go with a rear caliper brake and I'm interested in knowing if anyone has any good but affordable options they are aware of?

if you can fit them i would look for double pivot calipers. no grunt on old style single pivot calipers. something like this

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
So I've decided to go with a rear caliper brake and I'm interested in knowing if anyone has any good but affordable options they are aware of?
I'm assuming you are referring to rim brakes. Don't know what type bike or tire size your using, but you may need something with a longer reach and a greater bow in the arms for a larger tire that what has been shown. Measure from the mounting hole to the bottom of your rim for sufficient size caliper reach. Amazon.com : Tektro Caliper Brake for Beach Cruiser - 26" Wheel Rear 79-99 mm reach OE Packaging : Bike Rim Brake Sets : Sports & Outdoors

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
if you can fit them i would look for double pivot calipers. no grunt on old style single pivot calipers. something like this

A caliper w/a brand name of T-best, I don't think so.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Off topic but are they really that much better? What pads do they take? The new bike is a lot heavier than the last.
They definately apply pressure to both sides of the rotor evenly and are easily adjustable with an Allen key. I notice way less flex in the rotors while applying the brakes. The pad is a bigger rectangle shape pad compared to my old round pads that were the size of a nickle. Im pretty sure it's a shimano type pad. I'll attach a link to what pads they take. It was a cheap easy way of adding hydraulic brakes. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kool-Stop-Disc-Brake-Pad-for-Shimano-M966-M965-M756/283204175600

I've been eyeballing these for a while, Just have a hard time replacing my Avid bb7s, but have had hydraulics in the past and loved them. Also like the idea that you could use a dual pull with these.

I've been eyeballing these for a while, Just have a hard time replacing my Avid bb7s, but have had hydraulics in the past and loved them. Also like the idea that you could use a dual pull with these.
I was eyeballing the bb7 before I found these. And im using the dual pull brake lever. You can easily adjust the pressures to each wheel. I definitely don't have any complaints as of yet.

Back