The 12 volt lighting coil and how to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

machanic

Local time
12:38 AM
I jigged the coil on a case half and put the rotor on a drill press chuck RPM4263 as fast as it spins, the results.
ac volts no load 7.2-5.6 fluctuating tried a 10watt 6volt bulb as a load not even a dim glow on the bulb, voltage dropped to 2.3volts, hooked up a full bridge rectifier and a led light system salvaged from a 3AAA strapped on your head light, one led lights, when I switch on all nothing just enough power to light one led. coil 006.jpg coil 007.jpg

Using germanium diodes will give you less loss (voltage drop) in your rectifier, and in extremely low power outputs like this one I'd go as far as using 2 of them in parallel to act as a single diode with half as much resistance. With the light be sure you don't have any additional resistors on the pre-made boards.

As far as the results you're getting, well I'll say that just by looking at the product initially I didn't have any high hopes whatsoever about it which is why I never bothered buying or making one. You are kinda more or less showing me exactly as I expected, a very un-powerful and borderline useless add on... If there was a better way to make the coil more intact with the magneto armatures then maybe you could convince a stronger change in the field around the coil to happen..

And come to think of it, just perhaps hooking a coil up and a spark plug may help just a tiny bit, if the magneto/spark coil is actually consuming the electricity it's producing then maybe the magnetic change will be greater... It's crazy electricity stuff like the saturation of a magnetic flux of a transformer. It's why using a device connected to one will use more power supplying the primary than if you simply left the transformer hooked up but not under load, still uses power, but certainly not as much. This is a good place to start reading if that doesn't make too much sense. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...the_load_is_connected_to_a_secondary_coil/amp

I just tried the coil by itself to test the mag flux flow, got worse, wild fluctuations flashing led would need a sillyscope to read so there is definite flux flow, will try with the mag coil hooked up to the cdi.

I just tried the coil by itself to test the mag flux flow, got worse, wild fluctuations flashing led would need a sillyscope to read so there is definite flux flow, will try with the mag coil hooked up to the cdi.
With plug with grounded threads, if it can't dump it then that's something that can ghost problems into the mix.

Yup, all those inconvenienced electrons got to go somewhere, best not back into the black box.

OK, down to the basement for one more experiment with electricity, beer in hand, hope all goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back