Thoughts on using a flip flop hub to connect the sprocket of the engine?

cloakedvillain

Local time
8:39 AM
Of course you would need a special sprocket that threads onto the fixed side that spaced everything out right but it seems like a no brainer after that.

I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind. A flip flop hub has right hand threads on both sides of the hub. The FFH was created for fixie riders. They could either run a freewheel or a fixed gear. The hub would use a quick release axle.

The practical use with these hubs is you can get an adapter to attach a rotor for a disc brake to the hub. If you tried to attach a sprocket to it to drive the left side the sprocket would come loose.

Staton Inc makes a hub that's a right hand thread on the right side and a left hand thread on the left side. You could attach a left hand threaded adapter directly to the hub or use a left hand threaded freewheel in order to attach a left side rear sprocket. If you tried to attach a rotor on the left side of an SI hub the rotor would come loose when braking

My understanding of track cogs is that since the lock ring tightens when pedaling backwards on a track bike that the cog cant be removed before until the lock ring. If you tried it would start to loosen the cog then just tighten the lock ring after that. Assuming the play is so small as to be completely insignificant, and that the threads don't get stripped out it should work well enough and make the rag joint, and clamshell adapters obsolete.

The only reason I would be tempted to try this is that a decent single speed bike can be had for not too much money brand new and even less used. I mean decent: sealed bearings in the wheels, a 3 piece crank, double walled aluminum rims and a threadless head set.

My understanding of track cogs is that since the lock ring tightens when pedaling backwards on a track bike that the cog cant be removed before until the lock ring. If you tried it would start to loosen the cog then just tighten the lock ring after that. Assuming the play is so small as to be completely insignificant, and that the threads don't get stripped out it should work well enough and make the rag joint, and clamshell adapters obsolete.

The only reason I would be tempted to try this is that a decent single speed bike can be had for not too much money brand new and even less used. I mean decent: sealed bearings in the wheels, a 3 piece crank, double walled aluminum rims and a threadless head set.
If you've ever removed a freewheel you'll find it's on very tight. The lock ring on a fixed gear also is constantly being tightened while pedaling forward. So even in brief moments of pedaling backwards it's not going to come lose under human powered force.

This isn't the case on the left side. A much greater force than human power will constantly be trying to loosen both lock ring and the sprocket.

If you've ever removed a freewheel you'll find it's on very tight. The lock ring on a fixed gear also is constantly being tightened while pedaling forward. So even in brief moments of pedaling backwards it's not going to come lose under human powered force.

This isn't the case on the left side. A much greater force than human power will constantly be trying to loosen both lock ring and the sprocket.
I appreciate your input. I outsmarted myself here.

I though about this a little more and what if I fusion welded a disc brake adapter to the fixed side? The only real reason would be to have a 120mm spaced hub with a disc brake mount. I have looked and I cannot find one online. Bicycle Bike Freewheel Threaded Hubs Disk Disc Brake Rotor 6 Bolt Flange Adapter 44MM, 2 pcs/Pack https://a.co/d/dk8F5FE

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I though about this a little more and what if I fusion welded a disc brake adapter to the fixed side? The only real reason would be to have a 120mm spaced hub with a disc brake mount. I have looked and I cannot find one online. Bicycle Bike Freewheel Threaded Hubs Disk Disc Brake Rotor 6 Bolt Flange Adapter 44MM, 2 pcs/Pack https://a.co/d/dk8F5FE
Or you could simply buy a Staton Inc hub which has right hand threads on the right side and left hand threads on the left side. David sells adaptors so you can mount a sprocket to the left side.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back