Unable to mount rear sprocket

molash

Local time
6:20 AM
Hello all,
My friend and i want to build a motorized bike, this will be our first build. We got a nice bike to mount the motor to ,however we are unsure if the rear sprocket can be mounted along side the rear disc brake as there seems to be very little clearance, keep in mind that the motor has not arrived yet we are just speculating at this point. I will attach photos. We have considered other drivetrain options like either having output on the right side of the bike then connecting the output chain to the crankset directly or getting rid of the disk brake and somehow mounting the sprocket in its place and then just using regular brakes. Please advise.
The bike is a giant roam
Thanks
20230529_184656.jpg
20230529_184627.jpg
20230529_184647.jpg

Hey guys just a quick update here,
So the motor came (much faster than expected) and we attempted to just try to see if it would fit on the bike, which it unfortunately did not as the frame is too wide. I will attach photos but it seems that the vertical tube is just about thin enough for the screws whilst the bottom tube is much to wide even for the screws. I am sure there are plenty of ways to mount this but some answers to our specific case would be much appreciated. Now as for the sprocket, we have decided that stretching the forks just a bit will do the trick as it is the easiest option. Just a side question : has anyone ever mounted on of these motors backwards? Would be interesting if we can because then the carburerttor would be getting plenty of air as well as enabling the chain to be connected directly to the crank to give us some good gear ratios. And by the way, the engine seemed ok and generally fair quality although we haven't
IMG_20230531_212417.jpg
taken the head off and had a good look inside the cylinder, everything else seems ok.
IMG_20230531_212438.jpg
IMG_20230531_212446.jpg

Thanks in advance
molash

You can use an adapter plate (some kits include them), they are not expensive, or you can find one of the larger motor mounts. I used an adapter plate for a couple of bikes and a lot of miles, as long as it's secure they work OK, I never had a problem with it.

Attachments

• tires2.jpg
    tires2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 68
So the motor came (much faster than expected) and we attempted to just try to see if it would fit on the bike, which it unfortunately did not as the frame is too wide. I will attach photos but it seems that the vertical tube is just about thin enough for the screws whilst the bottom tube is much to wide even for the screws. I am sure there are plenty of ways to mount this but some answers to our specific case would be much appreciated. Now as for the sprocket, we have decided that stretching the forks just a bit will do the trick as it is the easiest option. Just a side question : has anyone ever mounted on of these motors backwards? Would be interesting if we can because then the carburerttor would be getting plenty of air as well as enabling the chain to be connected directly to the crank to give us some good gear ratios. And by the way, the engine seemed ok and generally fair quality although we haven'tView attachment 192713 taken the head off and had a good look inside the cylinder, everything else seems ok.
View attachment 192714View attachment 192715

Thanks in advance
molash
What is that black thing behind your bike?

So the motor came (much faster than expected) and we attempted to just try to see if it would fit on the bike, which it unfortunately did not as the frame is too wide. I will attach photos but it seems that the vertical tube is just about thin enough for the screws whilst the bottom tube is much to wide even for the screws. I am sure there are plenty of ways to mount this but some answers to our specific case would be much appreciated. Now as for the sprocket, we have decided that stretching the forks just a bit will do the trick as it is the easiest option. Just a side question : has anyone ever mounted on of these motors backwards? Would be interesting if we can because then the carburerttor would be getting plenty of air as well as enabling the chain to be connected directly to the crank to give us some good gear ratios. And by the way, the engine seemed ok and generally fair quality although we haven'tView attachment 192713 taken the head off and had a good look inside the cylinder, everything else seems ok.
View attachment 192714View attachment 192715

Thanks in advance
molash
I'm in the uk as well, just check to see if the cylinder and cylinder head are all one piece and also, if you aren't going to disassemble the motor before riding, roll the bike forwards with the spark plug out, put a few drops of 2 stroke oil in the cylinder for lubrication. the engine should turn over easily, my first one was hard to push forwards and it turned out to have some major machining problems, to the point that the cylinder bore wasn't round. I've moved on from two strokes now because the kits in the uk are terrible quality. I'm currently building a 4 stroke using a Honda gx160.

Can someone please explain where there is room for a sprocket on this wheel that will work. Must be 700c wheels.
20230529_184647-jpg.192628

Back