To port or not to port??

The problem with that is as soon as the piston starts it's decent to push the fresh charge up the transfer it's now creating pressure to do so and that pressure will close the reeds and now at the exact same time the vac from exiting exhaust is sopossed to overcome that exsisting pressure and pull again on the reeds in a fraction of a second!Humm I dont think so! Scavaging refers to the pipe timming pushing some of the lost charge back into the cylinder and get more bang that would be lost on a reg pipe!
I follow you on the reed valve deal. Things are happening kinda fast. Your right and wrong on the scavenging part though. The return of the over drawn charge is all wave scavenging sonic s**t.. The scavenging we are talking about is a inirtial force caused by the speed of the mass flowing through the pipe and aiding both the evacuation of the exhaust gases and the presentation of the new charge. It's the main reason for the need of a baffle cone.

I follow you on the reed valve deal. Things are happening kinda fast. Your right and wrong on the scavenging part though. The return of the over drawn charge is all wave scavenging sonic sh*t.. The scavenging we are talking about is a inirtial force caused by the speed of the mass flowing through the pipe and aiding both the evacuation of the exhaust gases and the presentation of the new charge. It's the main reason for the need of a baffle cone.
Yeah I get that but then we would want less blow down duration to aid the pull no?

I have even used this on a flooded case. Stick a fuel line down into it and use the blower from the compressor to blow a jet of air over the end of it. It sucks the case dry real fast.

Last edited:
Yeah I get that but then we would want less blow down duration to aid the pull no?
I would imagine there would be a optimum line where way to early and the case is overcome with the pressure of combusted gases not fully relieved, a little to early allowing to much time to suck to much of the new charge into the pipe and a little to late and you lose some of the assistance. Sorry about all the crap on this I just find this micro moment when all this stuff is happening interesting as hell. I should say that early and late meaning less and more on the blow down time.

Last edited:
I would imagine there would be a optimum line where way to early and the case is overcome with the pressure of combusted gases not fully relieved, a little to early allowing to much time to suck to much of the new charge into the pipe and a little to late and you lose some of the assistance. Sorry about all the crap on this I just find this micro moment when all this stuff is happening interesting as hell.
Yeah me too!

That's what I'm think too... As soon as the reeds close it's because the piston is pressurizing the case above atmospheric psi. At that very point the air is no longer being drawn in, and pressure rises sharply until the transfers open and gasses excape into the combustion chamber.

Now that moment after the transfers open while the piston is still traveling downwards the question is can that case actually depressurize fast enough that any pulling force (if the timing of it is even there to match up) in the exhaust could bring the crankcase psi lower than atmospheric psi in that fraction of an 80th of a second before the piston meets bdc and starts flying up again...

Somehow I'm not seeing it working well enough for that effect to be noticed or even existant... I understand where the train of thought is but in that small moment of time and all that turbulence you'd have to have impeccable timing to pull anything off... I really wish he had some kind of animation that could describe this wave that is capable of pulling g the already pressurized expanding exhaust gasses so strongly is can "pull" air though a carburetor on the complete other side of the motor, and it needs to be significant enough too so that it can produce a venturi effect.

It's starting to sound like a boost bottle, except instead of excess pressure at the intake it's a lack of pressure in the exhaust, both need to be extreme enough to work properly and even then the tolerances are so tight that unless you've got a lot of time to tinker you won't be able to get good results...

My method at more power: bigger motor...

Back