Using Rubber On Engine Mounts - Post Your Thoughts Pro and/or Con.

yuckfoo

Local time
10:21 PM
I've heard that using rubber on engine mounts is a bad idea. On the other hand, there are companies that sell mounts with rubber tubing on the U-bolt. I'm interested in using rubber padding to protect my paint from cracking, splitting, or other damage. Is it truly a bad idea to use rubber on two stroke engine mounts?

Last edited:
I've tried it. Tried to isolate some of the vibrations, didn't really work. Too many chain issues due to the flex in the whole system. What I found that does work is to wrap your frame with a strip of old inner tube.

On the other hand, there are companies that sell mounts with rubber tubing on the U-bolt
Guy's in china are going to use the cheapest crap they can find, probably found in the mountain of garbage North America sends them

Guy's in Canada are going to use a hack saw on a hockey puck and beat it in with a baby sledge hammer.

I have no idea what the guy's in America use maybe a rolled up foot ball.

Car companies have been known to use rubber on their motor mounts but are using the right rubber for the right job they don't mind spending the money on testing different compounds so they don't have to recall and fix a million cars on their dime.

I use sheet rubber that is used in military aircraft for the purpose of dampening vibration...old inner tubes work nicely as well...here are the pics of my front engine mount using the aforementioned cut down sheet rubber...Front mount is made from 7075 T6 military aircraft specification aluminum.

I have everything mounted on this stuff on my bike and have next to zero vibration sensations or problems...You can see the rubber "peeking" out at you from key areas of the mount...DAMIEN

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 316
I've tried it. Tried to isolate some of the vibrations, didn't really work. Too many chain issues due to the flex in the whole system. What I found that does work is to wrap your frame with a strip of old inner tube.

I was worried that using an old innertube would collect and hold water up against the frame and promote rust. Now that I'm thinking about it, I do have an ancient bike up in the attic. I could cut the innertubes to match the face of the clamp and glue it to the clamp.

I used some plumbers sheet rubber from ace hardware, just don’t let them jerk your chain the $4 price is for the whole pack not just 1 sheet of it.
Some of the old bikes had leather in the engine mount to hold it but you have to keep the leather oiled so it doesn’t dry up and crumble out. And like with any material check it for tightness ocassionally

Some of the old bikes had leather in the engine mount to hold it but you have to keep the leather oiled so it doesn’t dry up and crumble out.

That wouldn't of been a problem with older M/Bs & M/Cs They all leaked and sweated oil anyways.:LOL:

There is another type of plumbers rubber. That is one sided stick on rubber tape. That works great

The engine mount to the frame should be metal to metal. All of the surface area of the mount should make contact with the frame. 4 stroke engines should use a three point mount.

Do not use rubber mounts. You'll just end up breaking mounting bolts,mounta and frames. If its vibrating badly you should balance and true the crank to roughly a 50% balance factor. Really you should balance the crank regardless.

Back