Velosolex: anybody familiar?

mystic-chris

Local time
11:01 AM
Is anybody familiar with the new Velosolex mopeds that are once again made in France, and available in the U.S. through a headquarters in NJ? They look pretty cool, and they usually go for about $1,800, but Velosolex America is blowing out a bunch of new 2007 models in black on eBay for $1,350. I'd be able to drive down from CT to NJ to pick one up.

It's not clear to me how that front-mounted 2-stroke transfers its power to the front wheel. Anybody know this, or anything else about the Velosolex?

They are friction drive on the front wheel. Super good gas mileage , well built, & fun to ride. I think that they have to be registered as a moped in most states. They are heavier than a motorized bike & much better built. Sometimes you can find an older one for less than $500. They are not speed demons, but solid transportation & MUCH better quality than Chinese kits. They were called Solex mopeds for many years.

I would also look at Tomos. They've been around for a few decades now. A nice one with peddles lists for around $1,200.00 if they're still producing them. They had models last year with peddles, but I'm thinking they've done away with them as of this year.

I finished this yesterday ,for my wife. Sorta resembles the Velosolex. I bought the Hongdu/Solex motor from BGF

DSC_1473.JPG

DSC_1474.JPG

Bravo!

wzuccarello: That is very, very nice! Beautiful job.

I've been in contact with Velosolex in the past couple days, and I've downloaded the owner's manual and have learned a lot more about their bikes.

But, your project may get me thinking in a different direction! Thanks for the pics.

Thanks, Still gotta modify and install the front fender. Check out the front wheel kickstand.

That's a bone stock 24" Micargi bicycle

There is a long, very imformative thread about these Solex clones (Hongdu/Solex thread) at the other Forum

i read somewhere that the french company has, just jast month, decided to stop production,due to the inconsostant quality of the engines,now manufactured in China.
Maybe That's why the prices went down on the current ones on E-bay, eliminating stock.

Yeah, they were rather sketchy when I asked if the bikes were in current production. Their reply: "Velosolex are in continuous production for different markets."

The "new old stock" 2007 bikes on special on eBay are at: Steve's Moped & Bicycle World, 40 Park Avenue in Dumont, NJ. I'll probably make a day trip down there from here in CT. And who knows; maybe I'll bring one home.

Back