Weld the sprocket!?

livefastmotors.com has a clamshell sprocket If I had the 50 clams, that's what I'd be using on my current ride.

Sprocket Adaptor/ Hub Mount for OCC Stingray Chopper:

maybe u can adapt something similair to this......my sprocket is bolted to this peice of metal and it is bolted onto the hub...6 holes had to be drilled

http://www.livefastmotors.com/packages.html

and no im not selling these...hehe 2nd post tonight ive posted about this adapter :)

just a good idea

madwack

The thing Ive experienced is that, its quite impossible to align the sprocket when clamping it in place, when tightening, it moves. When welding it doesnt move at all, never. When clamping it on the sprocket it moves after time and the chain starts to jump of all the time.
Most annoying.
If a sprocket goes, its quite easy to replace, but who replaces ONE broken sprocket?
The bike is från the 1930:s and if no spring has broken yet, why should it ever? :)
If the tire totally destroys in someway I always can weld a knew one, becuase ive still got the welding gear att my service :)

I still recomend this if you want a reliable sprocket with total alignment, and for a small cost you got a welding gear at hand för other projects.

Last edited:
reviving old topic

I would like to bring this topic back from the dead.

You CANNOT weld aluminum to mild steel for any permanant repair. But many of the cheaper bike wheels out there use basically mild steel hub and parts,same for the chromed sprockets. So they can easily be welded if both materials are the same or similiar IE:stainless to mild steel

I also am tired of the rag joints for sprocket fit up ,so yesterday I disassembled my rear coaster brake wheel and "tig fused " my chrome mild steel 34 tooth sprocket to my coaster hub with success. After I was finished I scuffed the chrome sprocket and repainted to match my bike. I did have to modify my dust cap and brake arm to fit properly, then I tig welded those two things to the hub lock nut .

This mod is permanant so if my wheel or spokes get broken I will have to replace entire wheel assembly.So i did this mod on a cheap bike wheel. And the results look very nice and clean.

I do not think he got a tig set up for $100,most likely it was a cheap gasless wirefeed welder.

Ok I have to back up on my last statement about welding a sprocket to a rear hub,yes it does work nut you had better make sure your chain is alighned perfect before you test it out.

Today after many many hours of perfecting my new build with welded sprocket , I drove it for less than one block and the chain jumped track and jambed hard on the inboard wheel hub,of the sprocket next to the spokes. Well now I have all the spokes bent and in need of another real wheel . Geez the work just never stops when you custom something ya know .

Now Im going to purchase a clam shell connector from manic mechanic and give that a try after I find a new wheel.

BTW Im building on a huffy cranbury ,so it is nothing to special just looked nice is all.

Yea that clam shell looks to me that it is the perfect match im looking for also.

no problems/issues whatsoever..been TIG welding for over 35 years and have good equipment in the garage...Nuff said

Oh by the way I own/operate a welding business. Nuff said:bowdown:

LOL:D

Question again is why? That is "WHY" don't you buy a staton hub that has threads on both sides.or a hub made for a dis brakes and adapt the sprocket to it---lots of better ways to attach a sprocket than welding.But I do agree a solid fit is good---sam

Sam, to answer the "why"

It is faster and cheaper to weld it to the hub,atleast in my case.

Had my chain alighnment been better it would have served me well. Most people dont have the tig experience to fuse weld a sprocket to a hub and you cannot mig weld it due to excessive weld build up. I just wanted to try it once and see how it would work.

It sure looked awesome though as it almost made the sprocket appear magically held onto the hub .

Back