Well, It's Orange...Flying Merkel Tribute Build Progress

Hoodoo

Local time
10:55 PM
Faux tank (plastic tank inside) and faux lower support bar came out well. Now gathering and attaching parts. Rims to be painted and white tires mounted. Pressure is on, one month to go! No, it's real "pressure" this is not a reality show. Of course this is my bike (although my friend Mark is doing the work--this is his workbench) so the pressure is self imposed, hope to have it running for the Museum I volunteer at's event on May 6 in Kingsbury, Texas. Just noticed my old avatar. That is me sitting on the Museums running (sometimes) REAL 1920 Triumph. The motorized bikes supplement the Museum's collection of real artifacts.
merkel progress continued.jpg

That is me sitting on the Museums running (sometimes) REAL 1920 Triumph.
Where???...I don't see a sitting on anything in the pic above...lol...Did I miss something???...I know I have a vision problem right now and have an optometrist appointment in another 2 hours but I didn't realise it was that bad...lol.

Where???...I don't see a sitting on anything in the pic above...lol...Did I miss something???...I know I have a vision problem right now and have an optometrist appointment in another 2 hours but I didn't realise it was that bad...lol.
You can't see my avatar, the guy sitting on the motorcycle in military uniform? I can see your heraldry.

You can't see my avatar? I can see yours.
Oh...OK...I though you had forgotten to post that as an actual picture...Sorry to say, the avatar is too small to see for me right now with one eye in a complete blur right now...Thats whats gotta be checked out today.

Is that a worksman cycle frame? I love the look. Also are you going to use white tires for this?
Yes and yes. Screwed up and took off the tab for the idler, either going to have to reweld it or come up with a spring tensioner. It is going to look both good and also farb initially but with some alterations to accessories will look better over time. I have to try to get it ready for an event May 6 so I have to make some compromises initially. Just got the rear wheel built so the rims are going to be painted. Just simple rustoleum orange.

Got the Flying Merkel complete but not in time for testing. Still has some tweaks that need to be done and there will be some more changes down the line.

Attachments

• IMG_4108[1].JPG
    IMG_4108[1].JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 66
Hoodoo, very nice, love the tank. Those supports on the front fork don't look like added suspension. What are they for? Looks, just old school design or strength? Not used to seeing that w/o a purpose. Seems just the reg fork arms would be sufficient for strength.

Hoodoo, very nice, love the tank. Those supports on the front fork don't look like added suspension. What are they for? Looks, just old school design or strength? Not used to seeing that w/o a purpose. Seems just the reg fork arms would be sufficient for strength.
This was just an old fork we decided to use that was in my friend's scrap pile. It was similar in shape to the original Merkel fork so went with it. Interesting, although a Monarch suspension would work great as it does on my Hardley Davidson, I noted just today July 10 on first testing that the longer drop loop frame gives a much smoother ride than a normal bike so the Monarch was not that necessary.

Back