Well Nice Knowing U All I Just Threw My Bike In The Garbage So See Ya!

@ BigRed
My bike is loaded down with EVERYTHING I could put on it and I'm weighing in at around 230lbs. I don't think I could tow someone.
That's kind of weight is still within the towing capacity of my bike, for i've towed someone, complete with his bike trailer up an 8% grade with no problems - total weight being 35 kilos for his bike, 25 kilos for his bike trailer and gear and 90 kilos for the rider, making it 150 kilos or 330 lbs + my old 2 wheel trailer of around 55 lbs making it a total of some 385 lbs.

Not even an issue when you have a quad chain ring stack hanging off the bottom bracket complete with mega low range crawler gears.

That's kind of weight is still within the towing capacity of my bike, for i've towed someone, complete with his bike trailer up an 8% grade with no problems - total weight being 35 kilos for his bike, 25 kilos for his bike trailer and gear and 90 kilos for the rider, making it 150 kilos or 330 lbs + my old 2 wheel trailer of around 55 lbs making it a total of some 385 lbs.

Not even an issue when you have a quad chain ring stack hanging off the bottom bracket complete with mega low range crawler gears.

I am usually 20min early for work also. I like to have a cup of coffee and talk to the boss about the day. It wasn't my day that day. My cell phone service off. ( had to pay the bill) my wife is pregnant you know how that can be and a storm came through and knocked off our power and the alarm decided to not go off. ( I guess thats why they make batteries) So i was a little bit behind schedule so there was really nothing i could do for the fellow Biker. If i wasn't late for work i would have stopped.

I have towed a person and there bike with no problems with my kit. They had a homemade kit they built outta a chain saw. Whats the max weight you think you could tow. Having the low gear and all? Cause he was probally around 250 and his bike was probally 60 pounds with his engine and his basket. Thats towing 310 with a friction. So you could probally tow 500pounds with the chain drive if not more. I would like to see you test it and find out what max weight it will pull if you haven't already.
I had to take my spare tube and cut it to make a tow rope out of. It actually worked good.

Last edited:
I am usually 20min early for work also. I like to have a cup of coffee and talk to the boss about the day. It wasn't my day that day. My cell phone service off. ( had to pay the bill) my wife is pregnant you know how that can be and a storm came through and knocked off our power and the alarm decided to not go off. ( I guess thats why they make batteries) So i was a little bit behind schedule so there was really nothing i could do for the fellow Biker. If i wasn't late for work i would have stopped.

I have towed a person and there bike with no problems with my kit. They had a homemade kit they built outta a chain saw. Whats the max weight you think you could tow. Having the low gear and all? Cause he was probally around 250 and his bike was probally 60 pounds with his engine and his basket. Thats towing 310 with a friction. So you could probally tow 500pounds with the chain drive if not more. I would like to see you test it and find out what max weight it will pull if you haven't already.
I had to take my spare tube and cut it to make a tow rope out of. It actually worked good.

I figured it had to be something like that. Divorced now, but I went through all the same stuff over 25 years ago.
I could probably tow someone on a bike too. I wouldn't really want to put my little Hussy through it, but I think it could pull it off. Once it was rolling it would be fine I think, just haven't tried it yet.
Big Red.

I have crunched the numbers:

With low range, first gear selected,

5000 engine rpm / 4 = 1250 Clutch Output Shaft rpm (20 & 80 gear teeth sizes)
1250 / 1.7 = 735.29 Jackshaft rpm (10 & 17 sprocket sizes)
735.29 / 5.33 = 137.95 Bottom Bracket Chain wheel rpm (9 & 48 sprocket sizes)
137.95 /1.5 = 91.96 Rear Wheel rpm (24 & 36 sprocket sizes)

91.96 * 2070mm (rear wheel circumference) = 190.35 meters per minute

195.35 * 60 = 11.72 kilometers per hour, or 7.27 miles per hour @ 5000 rpm

All i know is that with the reed valve intake installed, the bike will climb a 20% gradient at 1/3 throttle with 100lbs of trailer hanging behind the bike.
I wouldn't mind betting that the bike could tow 500lbs without any problems - i am still gobsmacked that the little pawls in the freehub take that kind of pressure.

I have crunched the numbers:

With low range, first gear selected,

5000 engine rpm / 4 = 1250 Clutch Output Shaft rpm (20 & 80 gear teeth sizes)
1250 / 1.7 = 735.29 Jackshaft rpm (10 & 17 sprocket sizes)
735.29 / 5.33 = 137.95 Bottom Bracket Chain wheel rpm (9 & 48 sprocket sizes)
137.95 /1.5 = 91.96 Rear Wheel rpm (24 & 36 sprocket sizes)

91.96 * 2070mm (rear wheel circumference) = 190.35 meters per minute

195.35 * 60 = 11.72 kilometers per hour, or 7.27 miles per hour @ 5000 rpm

All i know is that with the reed valve intake installed, the bike will climb a 20% gradient at 1/3 throttle with 100lbs of trailer hanging behind the bike.
I wouldn't mind betting that the bike could tow 500lbs without any problems - i am still gobsmacked that the little pawls in the freehub take that kind of pressure.

That is cool!

You give up far too easily Deathproof.

It has taken me "TWO YEARS" of such pain and component failure and system redesign to finally achieve a reliable bike, after being stranded many times; many miles from home.

This is only a constructive opinion that can be completely disregarded "but" i say, pull your finger out; suck back that dummy and get yourself some personal fortitude, even if having to buy such qualities in a "can".

As i say to everyone who wants to get into the game: This ain't a sport for people with a weak spirit, for it shall break your spirit and determination down into it's slimey component parts as it tries to grind you into the ground with soul destroying manner, requiring all of your inner strength to claw your way out of the bacterial scum pool that's swallowed your being, forcing you to rebuild your strength of character, with sheer grit and fiery determination; the determination to make it a stunning success; to triumph over adversity and be master of the domain.

ROTFLMAO- dont listen to this guy! Motorized bike riding isnt supposed to be so painful and confusing..come on its a bicycle! All this time fabian has spent "tinkering" and pushing his bike home. I was out riding my friction kit having a blast! No offense fabian. But thats a little bit dramatic for me. I will be sure and offer you a wrench when i see ya walkin! LOL
You need to trade out that persistence for reliablity my friend! But i dont think any kit would last to long pulling all those karts around. It is interesting set up i give ya that! You want a band aid for all that pain! hehe

There are at least two types of motorbikers BchCruizer, Those who spend time and money perfecting this hobby and passion and those that go the easiest way possible because they don't like to tinker. If I didn't like tinkering at all I'd be riding a four stroke rack mount with a belt drive. And I think aesthetics have a lot to do with it too. Personally I don't like the looks of a rack or axle mount system, (Plus top and side heavy.) I want it to look more like a motorcycle. Even the 4 stroke frame mount looks like ya stuck your dads rototiller engine on yer bike.
The only way the two strokes will ever be reliable is because of people like Fabian. Perhaps one day, because of him and people like him, The poor little chinese 2 stroke will be reliable enough for even you.
Big Red.

I will be sure and offer you a wrench when i see ya walkin! LOL

I can inform BchCruizer that my bike is now more reliable than any friction drive will ever hope to be. My current 2-stroke engine is getting towards 10,000 kilometers (with a top end change at 4,000 kilometers) and it's been completely reliable; in fact it's becoming unnervingly reliable because at some point in time something will fail on the bike and the longer you ride without a failure, the potential failure is marching towards you as you're riding towards it.

I am no longer fussed about reliability issues because the have all been solved but my statement was a truthful one:

As i say to everyone who wants to get into the game: This ain't a sport for people with a weak spirit, for it shall break your spirit and determination down into it's slimey component parts as it tries to grind you into the ground with soul destroying manner, requiring all of your inner strength to claw your way out of the bacterial scum pool that's swallowed your being, forcing you to rebuild your strength of character, with sheer grit and fiery determination; the determination to make it a stunning success; to triumph over adversity and be master of the domain.

I think aesthetics have a lot to do with it too. Personally I don't like the looks of a rack or axle mount system, (Plus top and side heavy.) I want it to look more like a motorcycle. Even the 4 stroke frame mount looks like ya stuck your dads rototiller engine on yer bike.

Big Red.

I agree.

I'm stalking a pair of probable Tanaka engines on eVilbat. Mine's going to be scruffy, rather than ugly.

And somebody reassure me, Chinese clutch housings do fit Tanaka, don't they?

Back