What should I use as gasket material?

FelekSta

Local time
11:49 AM
So I'm slowly getting closer to strating with my minarelli project but idk how could I make that mf airtight, should I just sand every part, buy copper sheet and copy all oem gaskets (Crankcase, exhaust, intake, cylinder) and replace all chinesium berings?

So I'm slowly getting closer to strating with my minarelli project but idk how could I make that mf airtight, should I just sand every part, buy copper sheet and copy all oem gaskets (Crankcase, exhaust, intake, cylinder) and replace all chinesium berings?
Crank case gasket has to be of a certain thickness for the end play on the crank.

Few things

I prefer ZZ bearings over 2RS. I have made gaskets many many times. The crank case one is tricky. You want to use the same thickness as whatever came with it. The thicker the gasket (Fel-Pro 3025 1/16") will push the case halves laterally and may cause the case halves to not lock into each other. It can also affect your cylinder mounting if the case halves are pushed laterally, or thinner and brought in closer. I made a crank case gasket out of fel-pro 3046 (1/32" thick) and as a result, the case halves were brought in closer, which caused the clutch basket to now rub on the cover.

I have bought every gasket set known to man. They always come with super flimsy gaskets in addition to always being bent or ripped, they're only good to make copies. I did find the only proper crank case gasket I could find here (click me)

Regarding bearings, I find ZZ to be better than 2RS. I would encourage you to replace the bearings. For the exhaust gasket there aren't many options as it isn't a typical paper gasket. The intake you could make a gasket no problem with Fel-Pro 3046 (note, Fel-Pro 3046 and 3025 are the exact same for the exception 3046 is 1/32" thick and 3025 is 1/16" thick)

Base gasket is another one. If the gasket is too thin, you don't want the piston to slap the head. If your gasket is too thick, it will raise your squish gap because the cylinder will be sitting higher. This is the only base gasket listing I have found that contains 1mm thick gaskets that are great quality. click me for base gaskets

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Few things

I prefer ZZ bearings over 2RS. I have made gaskets many many times. The crank case one is tricky. You want to use the same thickness as whatever came with it. The thicker the gasket (Fel-Pro 3025 1/16") will push the case halves laterally and may cause the case halves to not lock into each other. It can also affect your cylinder mounting if the case halves are pushed laterally, or thinner and brought in closer. I made a crank case gasket out of fel-pro 3046 (1/32" thick) and as a result, the case halves were brought in closer, which caused the clutch basket to now rub on the cover.

I have bought every gasket set known to man. They always come with super flimsy gaskets in addition to always being bent or ripped, they're only good to make copies. I did find the only proper crank case gasket I could find here (click me)

Regarding bearings, I find ZZ to be better than 2RS. I would encourage you to replace the bearings. For the exhaust gasket there aren't many options as it isn't a typical paper gasket. The intake you could make a gasket no problem with Fel-Pro 3046 (note, Fel-Pro 3046 and 3025 are the exact same for the exception 3046 is 1/32" thick and 3025 is 1/16" thick)

Base gasket is another one. If the gasket is too thin, you don't want the piston to slap the head. If your gasket is too thick, it will raise your squish gap because the cylinder will be sitting higher. This is the only base gasket listing I have found that contains 1mm thick gaskets that are great quality. click me for base gaskets
TYSM! Lot of useful info!

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
TYSM! Lot of useful info!
I make gaskets for my Whizzer 138cc 4 stroke M/B

Maybe some of my techniques will help ya make gaskets for your 2 stroke

I can! But he would need to pay shipping of course
If ya wanna order some dude, let me know!

Back