What type of metal are typical fenders made of?

Definitely brazing, it will spread over a larger area of the bracket and fender surface spreading the applied forces between the joined pieces. Also easier as a learned skill.
P.S. there is no (tin) sheet fabrication in common use, tin is a relatively expensive metal and has poor strength and temp properties, the term (tin) often refers tin coated steel, the coating used for corrosion protection.

It's not the vibration that I was talking about, an oxy/acetyl torch is mother-effing hot, thin metal is going to have some issues with a torch that hot. When I think about it it does occur to me that I don't think I've seen welded fenders, think they were all rivets or bolts.

Brazing is by far a better idea, but still kind of iffy, I've tried brazing thicker pieces of steel and still managed to burn through. If anything soldering is the best option just because you don't have to reach the melting point of steel for it to work, you only have to get the metal to the temperature the solder will melt. Home Depot has silver bearing solder meant for metalworking, it will take to most forms of steel, and of course will work on anything silver likes to meld to, so you can solder brass machine screws directly to the surface instead of a weaker hole with a bolt in it.

Your oxy torch will me more than enough for the (relatively) low working temp of about 600°F of a silver bearing solder, if you get water soluble Flux (for potable water systems) then after joining you can simply wash it off with a wet sponge, no hard Flux to scrape, chip, or sand off.

Sorry for the long read, I just don't think welds or brazing is the best way to go at it, both have to be done after forming, you can heat parts from the back and wet the steel parts with a layer of solder before forming the metal, then form it, and then quickly join 2 parts with some fast heat and an extra lick of solder with little chance that the heat will warp it out of shape. The best part is he can practice using the torch without jumping right in to melting steel, this gives him a chance to learn to just keep an area a steady even working temperature, probably the hardest part/learning curve of using any torch anyway.

I weld thin gauge with oxy fuel all the time. just use a little bitty torch tip. in fact, id say thin sheet is easier to weld with oxy fuel than thick stuff is, and oxy fuel is the easiest way to weld thin stuff other than a real fancy tig machine

hell, jewellers use oxy hydrogen for working on rings and whatnot. that's way more delicate work than a fender.

brazing is probably a better choice here than welding I have to admit, but welding thin gauge steel is definitely doable.

Butre is right. You can weld thin gauge steel. Hell - years ago I even welded the fender stays on my old Triumph using a stick welder and 1/16 inch rod. (They had failed, of course due to vibration.) After grinding and polish the welds were invisible.

Butre is right. You can weld thin gauge steel. Hell - years ago I even welded the fender stays on my old Triumph using a stick welder and 1/16 inch rod. (They had failed, of course due to vibration.) After grinding and polish the welds were invisible.
Never said anything about stick welds, I can bring sheets together with arc welds no problem, it's the brazing with torches (and accompanying welds) that I've just not seemed to have luck with. It got worse the thinner the metal got.

Here's an update:
I chose to braze the skirts on the fenders instead of weld and I still had issues with warpage. You can see the bronze filler is gold and I managed to fill in the entire gap on both sides with it. I used JB weld to fill in the valleys for the purpose of making the joint more smooth. Next step is to sand down the sloppy bronze to make it completely smooth, then I am ready to paint.
Rough_fender_fit[1].jpg

As you can see, I am going for the 1940's Indian Look. This is the exact bike I modeled the front fender from:
61586022-770-0@2X.jpg

Attachments

• asdfasdf[1].jpg
    asdfasdf[1].jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 107
LOOK REALLY GOOD ! Would of been nice if you could of got extra deep fenders like a old Monark, but these are KOOL....Curt

Back