Whizzer J

J

Jerry Hilborn

My cousin was working at a sawmill in rural northern Michigan in the mid 80s and told me about a motored bicycle he saw which he described like a Whizzer. We picked it up in 1990 with the blessings of the landowner. It had been half buried in the swamp. I took it home & promptly scattered the motor & stored things away in totes. Fast forward to present a wife three kids three house moves & project revisited. Looks like a Roadmaster 226 WH and a J case with H cylinder? 3/4 valves tillotsen carb and flat points cover, twist grips.

Cylinder honed, painted, valves lapped, skirt clearance checked, (new) rings gapped.

Big holdup is bearing in cover ( I have new one) and crank roller bearings are stuck. Two & three jaw pullers can't get to roller on crank.

Also after years apart the intake tappet seems too big to go in its bore. Not corroded either. Any ideas?

All the bearings are removed. I put digital caliper on a new push rod & checked the bore with small T gauge. Don't recall the difference but bore was smaller. I have a friend machinist that recently split with his wife & now lives on other end of county...don't cross paths now without planning. He has been a great resource. I never heard of aluminum "shrinking" like that. The rear wheel was buried in swamp, motor wasn't but it was exposed to the elements for a long time.

Last edited:
I drilled the crank end as Quenton suggested on a post & if I read the Whizzer Facts correctly the crank spacer is to be grooved as marked? Any guidance as to groove size?

Attachments

• IMG_2460.JPG
    IMG_2460.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 219
Whizzer Service Facts, page 39, item (2) states to cut two grooves in the spacer at those locations to feed needle bearing. Quenton mentioned it on a side cover discussion. I am comfortable with where they are located according to the text & marked locations with a sharpie. Just wondered what the consensus was for grooves...chainsaw file cuts appropriate or what.

Jerry

Back