Will a 2 stroke fit on a diamond back hook 2017?

Lewis

Local time
4:42 PM
Or a 2014 Trek 3500, they all have downtubes with non traditional shapes. On my Trek 3500 the shape is more square at the bottom but I'm sure there is hardware to compensate for that?

Right now I am planning on using this Trek 3500 as my motorized bike since I am getting a new mountain bike. But later on as I upgrade to newer bikes I might want to put the new engine on the diamond back.

The frame size on my Trek is Large, but the frame size on the diamondback will be a small 16''. I fit perfectly on a medium but my bike shop only has the bike I want in small, I can still fit just won't be as good. The Trek on the other hand is a bit too big for me.

working on one now with triangular tubes - hammering out flat mounting plates & bending better steel studs to fit in a wedge shape is working OK so far, but it would be a LOT easier to have used a proper bike

If you get a U clamp (automotive muffler clamp) that is the correct width for your downtube then you can grind/file the saddle part of it to fit perfectly.
You can also grind the U bolt itself to make it a better shape. When it's a little flatter cross-section, and hot, it's pretty easy to bend.
You'll need a 4mm steel plate with four holes drilled to match your U clamp and the front mount stud spacing. I replaced the front mount studs with bolts to make it a little easier to attach.
_20171126_034129.JPG

on the one I'm doing - pointy side of frame is toward motor and flat side is away from motor

on the one I'm doing - pointy side of frame is toward motor and flat side is away from motor
One option (not that I doubt you have a perfectly good solution already) would be use the U bolt from a muffler clamp (ooh, or two!) with the saddle part of a TV aerial clamp?
There's usually a bit of unnecessary height in the U clamp saddles so they are okay for oval tubing, the TV aerial clamp seems like a good option for very triangular shape tube though.
images (1).jpg

download (1).jpg

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I think pictures will help...
Well Duhh, it sucks to go search the net for a bike pic to try to help...

5de64d61-4843-4806-bcc2-f92bd71443e8

Is that a carbon fiber frame? Must be for the square downtube near the bottom.
I have done a few triangle frame bikes but that is tiny.

I agree with the a front muffler clamp mount inspired by SickBikeParts, I use them on most every build.

2_BlueJamisL.jpg

You usually need to mount the engine higher but that is not always the case...

RaleighTalusLF.jpg

As mentioned above. I squared off the U shaped part of the muffler clamp to better fit the downtube, and the top piece is flat so that engine is secure.

2_RaleighTalusR1280.jpg

You'll need an offset intake as small triangle frames are tough.

2_Geneis29Right-1280.jpg

Just remember the back of your engine mount NEEDS to be flush with the seat post, no exceptions.
That is where the engine transfers it's power to the bike!
All the front mount does is keep the engine from twisting and leaning over, but it still needs to be right to do that.

2_WiteRaceLeft-1280.jpg

Hope that helps.

Back