V3 P-85 Was Dynoed

ImpulseRocket

Staff member
Local time
3:26 AM
Kurt Smolik, regardless of how he does business or whatever his reputation is, has been getting involved in the Phantom 85. He decided to put an out of the box V3 phatom on his small engine dyno. This is on an engine that he claims is "broken in" but he also tells people 1 tank of fuel is all it takes to break these in, which I vehemently disagree with. I even told him as much by pointing out his head temps. My Phantom ran hot for the first 3 tanks or so, and once everything finally wore in it started to run cooler, but hey what do I know, right?

"Very interesting . Peak torque 4.3 at 3500 then dies off . Peak hp 4.97 at 9000 rpm. Head temp 430 degrees. Peak rpm 12100"
phantom hp.jpg

Anyway, the power figure and where the torque peaks both make perfect sense to me given my first hand experience with an MS460 saw. This is exactly how most Saws deliver their power and torque. The small differences in the ports and port timing between the real Stihl design and the Phantom, mainly the smaller intake side, are what I can easily point the finger at as to why the Phantom makes 5hp instead of 7hp like the saw.

It also shows that there really isn't much point in going past about 9500rpm. I would say the taking the engine to 12,000rpm also contributed to the high head temps.

Its nice to finally have a number on the hp instead of "well over 3hp"
I have speculated multiple times that it makes about 5hp just by the speeds it can do out of the box. For most riders/bike setups 45mph does tend to require about 5hp-ish. Plus, it's an adapted design from a saw that is rated at 7hp, but the compression is lower and the carb is smaller, so a couple of ponies got left behind.

It's the 4.3lb-ft of torque at 3500rpm that should impress most people. There's why it climbs hills so good.

This is on an engine that he claims is "broken in" but he also tells people 1 tank of fuel is all it takes to break these in, which I vehemently disagree with. I even told him as much by pointing out his head temps. My Phantom ran hot for the first 3 tanks or so, and once everything finally wore in it started to run cooler, but hey what do I know, right?
You are very correct on this as I can also attest to this head temp situation as well.

I have to agree with the break in run time too.
One tank may loosen stuff up but I think it takes a bit more to get it all fully mated.

I have bought stuff from Smolik Performance. I got the items I ordered in a fair amount of time. I’ve had at least 4 different orders where each was over $100 and less than $200.

I have to agree with the break in run time too.
One tank may loosen stuff up but I think it takes a bit more to get it all fully mated.

I have bought stuff from Smolik Performance. I got the items I ordered in a fair amount of time. I’ve had at least 4 different orders where each was over $100 and less than $200.
I get it. I am just wanting to avoid people arguing about who did the testing and not the test results themselves. That’s all.

I have speculated multiple times that it makes about 5hp just by the speeds it can do out of the box. For most riders/bike setups 45mph does tend to require about 5hp-ish. Plus, it's an adapted design from a saw that is rated at 7hp, but the compression is lower and the carb is smaller, so a couple of ponies got left behind.

It's the 4.3lb-ft of torque at 3500rpm that should impress most people. There's why it climbs hills so good.
Now just imagine this engine being ran through a Strumey Archer SX3 IGH jackshaft transmission using a 36t sprocket. It'd be like having a 60t, 48t, 36t sprockets in the rear.

Now just imagine this engine being ran through a Strumey Archer SX3 IGH jackshaft transmission using a 36t sprocket. It'd be like having a 60t, 48t, 36t sprockets in the rear.
Not sure I would want a 60t option tbh. One mm too far on the throttle and you would be leaving every stop on the back wheel lol

Back