Would you believe I'm planning my next build? (4 Stroke Content)

BTW. Since you're looking at an all season application, you might want to consider a Sturmey-Archer generator/brake front hub... The drum brake is all season, and it's protected from the elements. No stopping issues, even if it's wet or muddy... Plus, you've got the generator...

I know it's a chunk of change. But, you can get the hub with just the brake for a lot less, if you go the battery route for your lighting.

Have you considered front wheel drive, rack mount? That way, you don't lose the rear rack for cargo.

Last edited:
BTW. Since you're looking at an all season application, you might want to consider a Sturmey-Archer generator/brake front hub... The drum brake is all season, and it's protected from the elements. No stopping issues, even if it's wet or muddy... Plus, you've got the generator...

I know it's a chunk of change. But, you can get the hub with just the brake for a lot less, if you go the battery route for your lighting.

Have you considered front wheel drive, rack mount? That way, you don't lose the rear rack for cargo.

That is super super cool! That way I can run the headlight from that hub and a rear light from the magneto. That's something I can upgrade to down the road. Thanks for the link.

I haven't considered a front wheel rack mount, mostly due to cosmetics. I know it sounds frivelous but if I put a lot of money into this bike I want it to look cool.

First, I'd like to say that I think that you would have no problem fitting a 4-stroke kit in the Army Bike mentioned in the first post of this thread. Members of this forum have installed them on the various Felt frame sets that are similar or have even less room than the one you were considering. So if you like the look of the first bike and the price is what you are looking for, I'd go for it.

Second, The research/comparsions I've done in the past between the Hoot & Grubee kits, I found that the people offering the Hoot Kit seem to offer only the 3-piece crankset thats made to fit the small BB shell or european BB shell. Josh at http://www.bicycle-engines.com seems to only offer his Grubee kits with the one piece cruiser bike type crankset. Grubee does make a 3-piece crankset but Josh did not import any of them. Maybe when he gets his next container/shipment of parts he will be able to offer both types of cranksets.

Third, Based on all that I have read on this forum about the various 4-stroke kits, It seems that the Grubee Kit despite its added cost is the better value.
But be aware that although I do own a Honda GXH50 engine, I've decided to put together an alternative belt driven drive train for my project and do not have first hand experience with either of the two kits we are talking about here.

ocscully

Great info oscully!

I've basically come to realize that due to budget limitations, I'm going to have to make a trade-off somewhere, and I think I found out where. The army bike is really cool, but a custom tank would leech the money right out of my wallet.

I decided I'm going with a bike that can be had locally (no shipping costs), that comes with side-pull brakes. I found a Schwinn Cruiser through target that would work out pretty much perfectly. The lack of fenders is a worry, but not a huge one. And this way I can keep my budget down to 500 bucks.

The bike is here.

With the money I save (40 bucks or so) I can get the better kit through bicycle-engines. My one concern with that bike is the grip shifters. Would I have to buy a whole new shifting system or could I just shimmy them down the handle bars far enough th keep them?

I have the blue/silver version of that bike (Jaguar)
it is a good bike for the price
it only has a shifter on the right
you will only have to slide the gripshift a little...maybe an inch

Last edited:
I have the blue/silver version of that bike (Jaguar)
it is a good bike for the price
it only has a shifter on the right
you will only have to slide the gripshift a little...maybe an inch

I saw the blue/silver version at the actual Target, but I'm a big fan of red on bikes, so I opted to go for that instead. I'm glad to hear that it's a solid bike.

Look what Jon found on craigslist!

Link

It claims it's a 1962. Could it handle a 4 stroke and is 50 dollars reasonable?

Attachments

• schwinn.jpg
    schwinn.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 282
Been following this thread since you started it but havent posted yet since these guys are giving really good advice... I wouldn't buy the old bike because you're going to have to spend a ton of cash to make it road ready (even if it looks **** cool) It must only have coaster brakes so you'd want to add on at least one rim brake (southport has 2 already). The old bike also is just single geared and probably much heavier so if you ever have to pedal the sucker the schwinn is going to be much easier. The only thing better about the old bike is the fact that it probably has old style heavy duty steel rims and thick spokes which means you could ride it harder on the engine. If you're gentle with the throttle and pedal yourself while accelerating the engine the schwinn wheels should do fine. Good choice on the grubee kit though, a freewheeling PTO and parts availability is a MUST with these things. Good luck hope to see it soon!

http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2946&d=1195313719
I love the springer forks $50 on my Jaguar and there is a pre drilled hole at the base of the tube for rim brakes.
I'm having a front drum laced to a wheel right now and can't wait to intsall it.
The Jag is a smooth comfortable ride. The front mount is the toughest part of the build for a 2 stroke. I can't wait to see what you come up for the 4 stroke. It's gonna rock!:cool:

"BTW. Since you're looking at an all season application, you might want to consider a Sturmey-Archer generator/brake front hub... The drum brake is all season, and it's protected from the elements. No stopping issues, even if it's wet or muddy... Plus, you've got the generator..." Loquin
I got that one here http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPHUDRM/HU2200 $20 cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been following this thread since you started it but havent posted yet since these guys are giving really good advice... I wouldn't buy the old bike because you're going to have to spend a ton of cash to make it road ready (even if it looks **** cool) It must only have coaster brakes so you'd want to add on at least one rim brake (southport has 2 already). The old bike also is just single geared and probably much heavier so if you ever have to pedal the sucker the schwinn is going to be much easier. The only thing better about the old bike is the fact that it probably has old style heavy duty steel rims and thick spokes which means you could ride it harder on the engine. If you're gentle with the throttle and pedal yourself while accelerating the engine the schwinn wheels should do fine. Good choice on the grubee kit though, a freewheeling PTO and parts availability is a MUST with these things. Good luck hope to see it soon!

Even if it's less than half the price of the Southport, you still think it's not worth it? Besides rim brakes what else do I need to buy to get it road ready?

One part of this hobby that I really love is getting into really old bikes, and I've kind of been wanting an old schwinn for years. I think I'm going to go take a look at it regardless today, give it a test run and assess whether or not it's worth getting an old bike to me.

Back