Engine Trouble All the research isn't helping, the SOB will not run!

Or marry a Russian mail order bride, take a post dated check,eat day old sushi,
or answer truthfully when a woman asks "Does the make my butt look big?".

All this illustrates why I don't run Chinese engines.

My experience has been at both ends of the scale. That said, 2-stroke Chinese bicycle engines are surprisingly reliable when you understand why they do what they do and take preventative measures.
Unfortunately the learning process requires you to go through a heck of a lot of pain and heartache.

If you want dependable operation without the heartache, there's an ever growing industry of aftermarket manufacturers offering improved reliability upgrades.

Oh yeah, there's all kinda money you can throw at a cheap Chinese
chain drive, Fabian. But... somehow I think you've a vested interest
in after market sales, huh!

@ rawly

If you call "a vested interest in aftermarket sales" the acquirement of just about every billet parts option from various manufacturers/vendors, then 'yes' , i have invested heavily in aftermarket companies.

The only manufacturer i haven't invested in is Arrow Motorized Cycles, because the refuse to sell me any of their parts/products, but if they did sell me their part/products then i would have an interest in their company as well, because if their product worked reliably on my motorized bicycle (under the conditions that i ride) i would recommend their parts/products to others involved in this hobby/transport.

"invested heavily', so in other words those companies are part of your
portfolio.

so in other words those companies are part of your
portfolio.

:ROFLMAO: rawly, you make me laugh.
I have an extensive portfolio; (comprising of motorized bicycle parts; some performing less than adequately, some performing unacceptably and some performing dismally) and it all just manages to fit on my over crowded workbench, where tears of pain and heartache collect; in a quest to find mechanical reliability.

For quite some time i've been trying to pump up my portfolio with new acquisitions but Arrow Motorized Cycles won't come to the party; in fact they won't even accept the colour of my money.

okay, i'm laughing too. We appear to be on the same quest,
though I suspect I have more limited resources. My plan was to
get an engine that was reliable to begin with and somehow
apply it too my $15 rescue bike. I think I'm getting close, but
it's involved hand tooling precision parts with a file.(which results
in painful carpal tunnel syndrome and the onset of myopia.)

Last edited:
even saving money one way and blowing it another way doesnt do much!

one day ill get back some of the 2,500 i spent on my mill... just need a foundry as well :)

but i get the satisfaction of "i maded that" rather than i just bought it.

Well, a year down the track (yes it ****ed me off that much) and I wheeled the pos out the garage after buying a new carb and cdi. I didn't bother trying to work out which of these were problematic, so they both got bolted on and I tried again. Dead as a dodo! I tried again over the weekend and after 10 minutes of exhaustive pedalling she fired! I couldn't believe it. So I tidied up all the wiring and did find that the connectors from the cdi need very good insulating, they gave me a hefty jolt when I touched them and I wondered if all this time they were shorting on the aluminium frame causing the problem. So now it's been running for 2 days and I enter into fettle go stage. This bike does not like to start, it takes a good 2 minutes of pedalling before the things musters up a fart and splutter. Once running it's very asthmatic and running hot, but starts fine when the engine is warm or hot.

Back