Am I driving illegally?

Hi fury I'm buying a Peugeot xr6 50 it's been stood for let's say 5 years could you tell me what I should do befor trying to start her up... like change oil or what
fresh oil and fresh gas. if it doesn't start then go through the normal checks ie fuel air compression spark

Hi fury I'm buying a Peugeot xr6 50 it's been stood for let's say 5 years could you tell me what I should do befor trying to start her up... like change oil or what
I'm probably crazy for thinking this but doesn't that bike have a 2 stroke engine? I suppose an oil change would work well but I still haven't figured out how to separate oil from premix once I mixed it together.

A new plug and fresh premix should do it, a shot of starting fluid maybe to help get the ball rolling.

The tank might have a build up of dried oil and crude. Drain and flush clean might help.
Same with the carb, blow all the orifaces clean with carb cleaner. Don't want to lean her out. Note the jets.
Buy a few new plugs. Oil sets in the bottom of the crankcase. If it has an oil filled gearcase, change it of course.
Bleed the brakes with new fluid. Check that there is enough coolant and that it still looks good.
Tires up to pressure and no cracks. Test the brakes. Still pads left? Wheel bearings spin free?
Go over the nuts and bolts with a torque wrench. Shot of grease on anything that needs it.
Chains and belts OK? No tight spots in a chain, cracks or burns in the belt? Tension?
Steering stem bearings OK? Lock the front brake and shake her back and forth.
Carb twists free? No binding? Snaps shut? That is important. Check all the cables.
A shot of 2 stroke oil in the plug hole never hurts. Run it a bit rich in oil to start.
Run it easy, warm it up, let it clean its throat. run it harder and harder to feel if it is well.
A couple quick blasts of WOT to see how it is working.
Shut her down and put in a new plug. Run her through the gears at WOT. How's it feel?
Check the plug, chop it if you have to. Jetting is important. Make sure it is right.
That is a good start...

I'm probably crazy for thinking this but doesn't that bike have a 2 stroke engine? I suppose an oil change would work well but I still haven't figured out how to separate oil from premix once I mixed it together.

A new plug and fresh premix should do it, a shot of starting fluid maybe to help get the ball rolling.
I think it's oil injected, but don't quote me on that

I think it's oil injected, but don't quote me on that

Oh-oh, More to remember. Thanks to remind me.
Make sure the oil line is clear and flowing. Sometimes the oil thickens with age and plugs the line. Clean it out, blow it free, you can use carb cleaner if you don't have compressed air. Run pre-mix (50:1) in the first tank of fuel until you are sure the oil is flowing. Watch for air bubbles moving. They move VERY slow, especially at idle. Keep the oil injection but make sure you buy an "injection" oil (which can be used for pre-mix as well).

Oh-oh, More to remember. Thanks to remind me.
Make sure the oil line is clear and flowing. Sometimes the oil thickens with age and plugs the line. Clean it out, blow it free, you can use carb cleaner if you don't have compressed air. Run pre-mix (50:1) in the first tank of fuel until you are sure the oil is flowing. Watch for air bubbles moving. They move VERY slow, especially at idle. Keep the oil injection but make sure you buy an "injection" oil (which can be used for pre-mix as well).
I do appreciate your advice I'll keep you updated and send some pics

Back