Best Motor For Long Distance Trip?

TerraPilot,

the main concern for me with the Cruz conversion and "bargin" bike is the fact that those bikes have shallow steeringhead angles which is made up for by the forward offset of the fork legs. when the forks are turned backwards the angle becomes VERY shallow and as speeds rise the impact of road irregularities tends to become more and more horizontal to the axle rather than verticle. fork tube sheer is NOT something i'd be wanting to experience.

steve

Your interests and doings seem to place you in more of an authority than me on these matters. I did indeed notice the Avalon has a shallower angle on the ahead than some other frames . Please be aware that I measured the axle position and with the new rotation and Cruz forks the axle is withing a 1/4 inch of the original position. So at least I did not increase that angle with the cruzbike modification. Also, would you not agree that most off-the-self frames are way overbuild for the very reason of safety you mentioned. What I'm trying to convey is that a racing frame is lightened so much that it can become dangerously modified and that is simply not so much for off the shelf types like the Avalon.
The word "bargan" can be misconstrued sometimes in that lightness is indeed over lightness in a frame can be very expensive.

I'm still not saying your concerns are ill warranted, however. I don't scoff at anyone who shows concern for safety. I'm not at ease with any bike over 25 mph in moist settings and conditions. So at least know that I'm conciously limiting my speeds an average 15 and top 25 mph. A pothole will do serious damage to "any bike" over 30mph in my book. In the last analysis rotating the forks has yielded a more vertical angel and I must admit I don't like where it transfers more of the stress to. One last note; these forks and stays are steel. so just give it one more look. Why do you suppose they made my steering tube more upright?

So I guess I should be looking for another frame. Including good suspension for a 250 lb pay load. LOL

This can turn into an expensive hobby. And thats not the part of the fun that I bargained for in this hobby. LOL

Last edited:
TP,

please understand, i have NO desire nor intention to express or demand ANY authority over your choices and actions.

while i understand your point about the front AXLE ending up within 1/4" off it's original relationship to say the rear axle, you have also mentioned that you yourself can see that the FORKS are now very nearly verticle. they are also recieving much more direct loading than they where intended to since the riding load is so much further forward.

i'm sorry, i don't agree that the common "off the shelf" bike frames in this class are over built in the least. actually just the opposite, despite the notion that bikes are recreational equipment, what department does WMart sell them in ? "TOYS", and just what expectation of safety and durability do you think they have of them ?

top brand XC and DH bike frames that could be referred to as "racing" parts are worlds apart in quality and safety margin they also cost as much as 10 times more than the whole Avalon.

you can always sell the Avalon and redirect the funds to another bike for economy, i've resold 3 kits so far for that very reason.

for a guy your size, i'd be looking for as much quality as possible.

i truely wish you the best of success and satisfaction.

steve

TerraPilot...it's about experience & the desire to share it...i assure you all that's really happening here is that everyone's "building" your bike in their minds in their own particular style...but take note that noone ever says "you should"...we even have a topic floating around here about that...

:cool:

Back