Brakes Braking with the cruiser wheel brake almost killed me!

hahahaa no harm done! bluegoatwoods as a matter of fact you are helping me to improve my english!!! so im gratefull for the help on my bike and also for the help on my grammar!!! today im taking the axle to get "tempered" (thanks! 4 the correction) and try it out i´m also heading for the bike shop to order a new hub cause due to the long term use of it, almost 7 years haha, its pretty much damaged, not the hub, but the inner parts and pads and the litle metal plate that goes attached to the frame (im guessing its called a lever?) from the coaster brake!... im probably going to make myself a dual action brake lever so i wont be using too much of the coaster brake in order to make the use of it lighter and extend the life of it a little more! thanks for the interest!!!
have a nice ride!!!!

Last edited:
These bikes are almost all being made in China now.The steel they use we know is junk.
If it were me I would try & find a old American or Japanize axle or a new Japanize. Heat treating bad steel
could only lead to the same problems.

Fly

Thanks fly! i´v finally came up with a solution i bought a new coaster brake set, and changed the inner parts of it with the old one on my bike, it dind´t broke again so far, and it works better, cause the braking power got stronger, so problably the problem came from that area....i guess the arm of the brake was too old and used, and it didn´t "suited" quite good or tight on the "brake lever" sistem and that kept the screw getting tighter every time i hitted the brakes, and that pressure finally cutted the axle clean

Just out of curiosity, did you put the coaster brake left side stop back on after the sprocket and attach it to the frame?
If not when you back pedal for the 'Coaster Brake' you axle will just spin.

If that metal brake stop arm hits the sprocket bolt heads just bend it in a vice to fit around.

The hub and the arm have an elongated hole, the arm need to fit against in to keep that left side from spinning when you attach the other end to the chain stay.

Tip...
Put a $15 C-brake on for the back wheel and just rely on the coaster for an emergency 3rd brake.
Your hub will last longer.

Last edited:
Back