Can you recommend a reliable powerful 4 stroke?

Steep hills would tend to push you towards a bigger 4-stroke, if you're dead set on rack mounting. Of course, that adds a fair amount of width between the knees. The EZM, geared for low speed, coupled to a Honda GXH-50 could be an alternative for you. (It uses a belt internally, plus a chain to the rear axle.)

Since you're in CA means that there's no issue with the legality of a motorized bicycle, whether it be frame mount OR rack mount.

While the frame mount does put the weight of the motor lower, I've never felt uncomfortable or unsafe with a rack mount. The weight of the drive train is so much less than the weight of the rider that you soon forget that it's there. Plus, having the motor behind you is quieter (for you) and no difference for others. The fact that you need a high torque, lower speed 'application would tend to make the GEBE system less attractive, though, I would think

Staton's Nuvinci system has a lot going for it - from all reports, you can almost go up a wall with it, and since high speed isn't high on the priorities, calculations indicate that the Nuvinci drive could push you + 50 pounds of bike+motor up a 20% slope at 10MPH using 1.5HP at the motor. This means a Honda GX35 or a R/S EHO35 should work just fine.

Plus, you can adjust the ratio on the Nuvinci once the road levels out. They're pretty expensive, though (but, staton makes rugged hardware - the gearbox is guaranteed for life.) I believe you can get the Nuvinci with a disc brake mount.

Since you're interested in a high reliability, high torque solution, if you DO use a chain drive, I personally would stay clear of clamping anything to the spokes. Take a look at Creative Engineering's Sprocket/Sprocket adapter, which clamps to the hub, and provides a self-centering, aligned sprocket mount.

If you want the ability to freely coast when you let off the gas, you need a freewheel, either at the hub, or at the drive sprocket. Staton's Nuvinci has this. I don't believe the EZM does. The clutch bell will spin as you coast (assuming that the RPMs are low enough to allow the clutch to release) but it adds some drag.

Last edited:
Super...Good information...So you are suggesting that I consider the smaller motor for weight ?? Wouldn't just make sense to stay with the Honda50 ??

Yes - it's a rack mount. As far as the motor size/weight... it depends.

If you would be spending a lot of time in the hills, then, go for the bigger motor. Otherwise, you would be spending a high percentage of the time with the smaller motor at wide-open throttle. The bigger motor would be more dependable in that case. If you spend only 10% of the time running up steep slopes, then, the smaller motor could work for a long, long time, and be both less expensive to buy and run.

I think hill climbing is a important factor so I think the bigger Honda would be better insurance...

So far I think this is what we have;

Honda GXH-50
Stanton Nuvinci system Rack Mount with a Disc. brake mount
Creative Engineering's Sprocket/Sprocket adapter

Next:

Wheels...Fat Kevlar's with the pool hose insert ??

Rims... ??

If you get the Nuvinci kit, no sprocket adapter is needed. The sprockets are already attached to the hub.

I really like the Sun BFR rims - they're really strong; Staton sells them also, and if you buy them at the same time as the hub, for a relatively minor add-on, I believe he can lace them up.

Be sure to check with Staton re disk brake availability on the Nuvinci hub though. But, even if you only had discs on the front, that would also work really well. (Since about 80% of your braking comes from the front...)

Last edited:
Okay Lou I got the correction regarding the sprocket...As far as just a front brake I just worry about having to slam them on and the rear coming over the top...But I guess I can also live with just front brakes as long as they are disc...I will ask Stanton about this...So let me understand, is this a chain drive system or belt ??

I wasn't saying to go with NO brake on the rear. You can't run with a v-brake there? I also know that Staton sells a Shimano roller brake that fits the Nuvinci... But, per Staton,
Staton said:
Remove the disc brake mount on the NuVinci hub and your ready to install the Roller brake.

Last edited:
Okay...We got the brake issue solved...Front Disc and a rear Shimano on the Nuvinci..

So is this Honda/Staton set up chain or belt drive ??

Last edited:
Back