Can you recommend a reliable powerful 4 stroke?

Wow...That looks like the bike I want...The EHO35 looks like it would be much lighter and not as obvious to the police...The Honda looks a little odd/big...Do you think that EHO35 set up the way it is in the link you provided will give me enough power to deal with climbing hills..Like I mentioned before I am a active bike rider so I do not mind at all in assisting the bike with peddling..

According to The info at Staton's site, with either motor, standard configuration, in low range, the bike is going about 7 MPH at 7000 RPM.

A Nuvinci's efficiency is probably in the mid 80's, when you consider the gearbox, chain, and hub.

From my Post #31 earlier,
loquin said:
Staton's Nuvinci system has a lot going for it - from all reports, you can almost go up a wall with it, and since high speed isn't high on the priorities, calculations indicate that the Nuvinci drive could push you + 50 pounds of bike+motor up a 20% slope at 10MPH using 1.5HP at the motor. This means a Honda GX35 or a R/S EHO35 should work just fine.

I'll take the calculation a little further. Assuming an EHO35 (1.6 HP max,) with the standard gearing from Staton, and the Nuvinci, at 7 MPH, 1.6HP should just be able to push 250 pounds (bike+rider) up a 30% slope. 30 percent is 30 feet rise over 100 feet horizontally, and is a very steep road. (almost 17 degrees.) A lot of ranch-style homes have roofs with that pitch...

Here's a link to Nuvinci's site that explains the operation.

Not only are the smaller engines lighter & substantially smaller than the GXH50, they're better balanced, as the motor doesn't protrude as much (There's no driveshaft sticking out from the engine,) And, since they come with a clutch, you don't have to pay for the clutch & adapter, so they're a LOT less expensive.

I would think that either approach would work for you; the 50cc version would get you up the hills faster, but be bigger, heavier, and cost more.

Last edited:
Thanks Lou...I am getting information so fast that I am getting very exited about building the bike...You mentioned earlier Sun BFR Rims...What kind of tire would you match them with ?? I have read in earlier that Kevlar tires are pretty tuff but I do not know the truth of that..I am also not quite sure of the size of the tire given the rims you suggest and given the type of environment I will be riding in keep in mind I am not looking for speed or comfort I am looking for durability/Reliability..I am concerned about getting a flat out in the middle of god's country late at night and still being 4 miles away from camp...I saw a post that suggested putting a "pool hose liner" inside the tire before the tube to give it added protection...Makes sense to me..

BFR rims are 26 inch, extruded aluminum, triple-chambered, and are very tough. Check post #23 in this thread for some pics.

The image below is a cross section.

I really like the continental Town & Country tires (also below) - they have an inverted tread that will grip well on most surfaces, and is smooth running on pavement.

Check the tires forum - there are a lot of good choices listed there.

Attachments

• BFR.jpg
    BFR.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Continental TandC.jpg
    Continental TandC.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
That Rim does look real beefy as well as the tires...Okay..Lets move to the frame..As my original post suggested I am going to purchase a used bike... Theory being I can buy a really good used bike off Cragslist for lest say 50 cents on the dollar and still accomplish what I need (Good front shocks, Front disc brakes, a strong but light frame)...So I am looking for a hard tail mountain bike but not some high end bike just to save a few pounds..You have any recommendation on what type of used bike I should be looking for to accomplish my need..??

That rim is also very wide, so it works great with tires 2+ inches across. They're getting hard to find in 36 hole, though.

I really like my Trek navigator 2.0 (comfort bike.) It has Linear-pull/V-Brakes, though.

Note, that with the Nuvinci, you could go soft-tail as well, as the motor/gearbox mount to the rear fork and hub, not inside the frame. (Frame mount engines can't be directly used with soft-tails, as the engine drive sprocket is not at the rotation axis of the rear fork. The engine drive chain would get loose every time you hit a bump.

Okay I had the soft tail thing reversed...I thought it was the Rack mount that could not take a soft-tail but it appears to be the frame mount that cannot...Great...I would prefer front & real shocks given the type of terrain I will be in...What do you mean by "Linear-pull/V-Brakes" on your Trek ??

So your Trek Navigator is a Hard-Tail if I saw the correct one on the Web ??

Back