Harbor Freight Engines

Porkchop

Local time
9:10 AM
I was at Harbor Freight within the past hour. They have a gasoline engine powered water pump for about $130.00.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66585

It looked at it and it appears to be the very same engine that's on their auger that sells for about $200.00, just a different color. There are a few sites that sell the same engine starting at about $120.00 and most of them are sold out. Not plugging HF, just posting a heads up for anyone that might be considering this engine. Don't forget about the 20% discount coupons you can get on line. That'll bring the price down to about $104.00

so has anyone actualy used the waterpump engine on a BMP setup? If so what was done about the clutch not sticking out the same as the auger engine? Additionly where was the clutch purchased and for how much $$$

Yes ! I have. As far as the clutch spacing, you need to get shorter mounting screws and spacers than what comes with BMP kit. I think 5mm shorter will work. 5 or 10. I don't remember exactly. Clutches can be ordered from Harbor Freight for about $2.50 give or take a few pennies. You'll need to get the part numbers from their gasoline powered auger though because the pump engine does not have one. Click on link below to go to that item, scroll down until you see a green box that says download product manual. A lot of people don’t realize you can look up part numbers there. You’ll need to get the clutch, which comes with the spring already attached, the washers and bolts. Washers are important and also act as spacers.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95346

I quickly re-read what I had posted a few months ago and saw several typos on this thread. I ordered 3 clutches along with all mounting hardware and 4 pull starter assemblies. The total including shipping was less than $30.00. The clutches were as I said about 2.50 ea. And the starters were a little over $4.00 ea as well as I remember. Clutches look as though they will last a long time and many miles. Pull start failure was my fault. I just ordered several to have on hand if and when. Again, I stress, shipping time is 6-8 weeks. Bummer ! That’s another reason I went ahead and ordered multiples. Those parts are readily available locally from several places, but not nearly as cheap on the price. Hope this helps. Get in touch if you need more help or have other issues with this build.

PS
The auger engine and the pump engine are NOT 100% exact. The reason for getting shorter mounting screws and spacers for the pump engine is because the screws that come with BMP kit are a little long and will bottom out into the flywheel. You may be able to use the spacers that come with the kit and just use shorter screws. I don’t remember the exacts. You can get spacers and screws at Lowe’s, Home Depot, nut and bolt house or hardware store. You’ll have to measure and determine that one. You can do a dry fit between engine and channel before you mount it on your bike. Screws and spacers are cheap. Just make sure the screws have enough contact to hold the engine securely but aren’t long enough to get into the flywheel. Certainly don’t want that to happen. In other words, you want the screws to be as long as possible without hitting the flywheel.

Yes ! Depending on who you want to believe, that engine is rated from 1.5 to 2.2 horse power. I just know it's stronger than my Honda GX35 that's rated at 1.6 hp.

you can get a 99cc predator engine regular price $99.99. I hear they are offering a 20 per cent off coupon right now, but unfortunately I dont have that, else I would pick one up. If you order online, flat rate shipping is $7. You will need to purchase a transmission or build your own. The most commonly used transmission for the Predator is the EZM qmatic drive, which costs about 250 or 300. Some have also used the qmatic's predecessor, the silent drive, but I dont believe those are still being made, so you will have to find one used, and the price will be whatever the seller wants for it. But for $200, you can get a transmission and clutch specifically designed for the predator at affordablegokarts.com. This is the least expensive design I have priced so far. I currently have a 44t rear sprocket, but will change to a 56t before installing my predator. with a 12t clutch, this will give me a final drive of 11.41:1. the clutch engages at 2200 rpm, which is 19mph with my gear ratio, leaving me about 400 rpm for idling. The predator comes with a governor that limits its rpm to 3600, but it can be removed, allowing the engine to safely operate at 5000+ rpm. Some say it can possibly handle over 6000 rpm, but I dont plan on running mine over 5000. at 5k rpm, my speed will be about 34mph. From 19 to 34 is a pretty decent powerband for a motor assisted bicycle, considering that my HT doesnt usually get over 30 and even on a flat wont go slower than about 22 before I drop the throttle so low the engine starts to brake. I should have plenty of climb with the gear ratio I have chosen, and 34 is a top speed I can be very happy with, especially knowing it wont take pushing the engine to its limit to reach that speed. My HT only runs smooth at top speed when it feels like it. Most of the time it four strokes, and like I said, when I drop below 1/2 throttle the engine starts to brake. So, this is just some food for thought for others who are looking into harbor freight engines.

Back