Hello hello!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sprocket196, Jan 14, 2009.

1. sprocket196

sprocket196 New Member

Hello Motored Bikes Fans!

I am currently working on building my first motored bike.

It's a Firmstrong CA520 (kind of like cheap Electra Townie knock-off) with an HS 4 stroke engine kit. So far I have had the challenges of getting the engine mounted and the rear sprocket drive sprocket properly centered. Then there was the small inconvenience of the pedals hitting the engine crankcase - I had to convert the bike crank from a 1-piece to a 3-piece in order to resolve it. Then there was the fact that the 7-speeds of the bike were not so useful, since the bike was much heavier now and my new front sprocket (with the widen pedals 3-piece crank) was larger, making the gearing even taller. So I had to find a front sprocket from a child's bike, and with a bit of welding and grinding I've made it work, and now I have 7 useful speeds again. Currently, I am working on a springer fork for it, which is a further challenge since the bike has a really long head tube, and the commonly available springer kits end up with some strange geometry -- so a few more modifications with the grinder and welder. :)

What a great hobby!

Regards,

Sprocket196

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, sprocket.

It sounds as though you are either already a capable MB builder or you're quite close to it.

So you'll want to tell us more about your bike. We can't get enough of that.

see you around.

3. sprocket196

sprocket196 New Member