Help on coaster brake self destructed

TT what do you need?I made that abundantly clear,GET RID of that wheel,if you care at all about your continued sentient existence on this planet.At the tender age of 15 I went on a trip to the Ardennes (a mountainous region in SE Belgium,with nothing but a Sachs Torpedo back-pedal brake,very well built BTW,which was perfectly fine when flatlanding in Holland.But on long hills it would badly overheat &fade.Dangerous and scary.(water to the rescue provided you can still stop).Had to replace most of the guts.Not enough energy storage capacity.Some of the cheaper ones are built with inferior materials.Look OK, but come apart.Quality materials steels etc are KEY in highly stressed parts.That's why the model T stood up to hard use on lousy roads (chrome-vanadium steel for key suspension parts).Henry Ford was on the ball!.Get something decent,disk brakes prob.best,cantilevers OK,but require TLC and mounting studs.Front drumbrake+dynamo (SA) fine too but not so hot in mountains (overheating).On the flats it does not matter all that much but you don't want any Chinese stuff.I wouldn't trust their cantilevers either,unless I could give them the third degree first.Please don't be stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the input..Del Mar does have a steel frame..rest of the bike is **** but I am changeing out parps as fast as I can learn which ones to buy Icyuod2 I thought about what I read in your post this morning..that back wheel lossened up just enough to let one of the bolts bang into the coaster brake arm..didnt see any dings or radicalgoobers on any bolt faces but brake arn was soft pot metal..going to cut one out of steel flat bar and replace ...make sure I get some good clearance....wheel is spinning and brake is working it is off bike now ...will take more time getting it on the bike straight..since I did take plenty of time to get that sprocket perfect..cannot put 12ga spokes on this hub....Think I will buy a wheel with a freewheel hub and the larger spokes...they must be available from the vendors here ...will research it tonight....ANY SUGESSTIONs ....Duivendyk what are the best canterleiver brakes?? put a china one on front but it is junk...been getting stuff at the bike shops locally...probably not a good Idea since I do not Know the brand names of the quality parts...will get a good set for the back also..will run this wheel and not use the coaster brake to much until I can figure out what to buy...typing skills primitive..keep hitting the wrong keys ..Kinda hard typing watching tv drinking beer smoking cigs and pretending to listen to the wife at the same time ..will not be chewing gum.

Last edited:
Ordered a new rear wheel today,,heavy ss spokes,Shimano coaster brakes...think I will order a larger sprocket to get btter low end tourque,do not care about high top end......old wheel rebuilt,,will run it until

Last edited:
Now would be a good time to install a nice drum brake hub with oversized spokes.

Back