Wheels [JB] Welding some double wall aluminum rims??

I saw this thread late; the only point I would have brought up re the JBWeld would be to FIRST drill a tiny hole through the wheel at the end of the crack. This allows the forces trying to split the crack further to be distributed around the circumference of the hole, rather than being concentrated at the end of the crack itself...

Dumb idea! It's not the epoxy that will break, its the bond of the epoxy to the metal. I've fooled with all types of adhesives and welding as well. There's no subsitute for a real weld. But it's your body on the line, do what you wish.

OKay!

You guys are just better than I am !

I go way beyond 'cavalier' to full blown reckless and borderline insanity.
But I will not glue a bicycle rim, and I probably would not weld one, either.

Days gone by I watched as a friend actually steered over a curbside drain grating. About the same effect as a front wheel failure.
He was instantly launched.
No one was more surprised than he !
He did get hurt.

One of my own endo launches was from my passenger sticking his heel in the spokes of the front wheel. I still recall spitting out my front teeth, to this day. Had a adolph mustache for about a month, too!
Something I'd do my best to avoid again... LoL

Good luck to yah!
rc

I have switched out for the 4-stroke now. So I'm definitely not gonna be going balls to the wall all the time. :)

She's still going strong. But she's technically only a [reinforced] single wall rim. Thought I'd say that. Oh well. Hope she goes 5,000 miles. :p

Last edited:
This is restarting an old thread but what kind of dual freewheel do you mean? Does it have threads on one side and a single speed freewheel on the other? I have a wheel like this that looks like brand new barely used(I don't know what to use it on lol)

Nope. Two freewheels on the same side! A wheel with a freewheel on one side and threads on the other is more than likely a flip-flop hub, where the side opposite the freewheel is intended for a fixed gear that is threaded with the intention of the freehweel being "flip-flopped" to the unused side. So the only real way to use both of them at the same time is to weld the fixed gear to the hub. :-(

===============

As for JB Welding my rim... it lasted longer than the hub did!!! My hub ended up falling apart and I paid a machinist a pretty penny to make me a new one. It was worth it at the time, tho.

I eventually saw another thread in which someone came up with a much cheaper solution that paying a machinist hundreds of $$$ to make a custom hub the way mine was designed, with both freewheels on the right side ---

- Locate a wheel or hub designed for a ~ 7-speed (or less, I think) freewheel.
- Remove said freewheel, and you'll see a longer threaded spindle than a single speed freewheel hub will have.
- Thread first single speed freewheel on.
- Add a spacer.
- Even tho the second single speed freewheel will not be fully seated on the hub, it will thread on just enough to handle the power of a small motor. :)

Love, Peace, and Bicycle Grease!!

My bike in question is tucked away in storage. I should probly sell it, since I think ebikes are the future... at least for me.

But here's a picture of a flip flop hub... ;)

phil5_copy0_blowup.jpg

Back