Kill switch?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by highrider, Aug 24, 2007.

1. highrider

highrider Guest

I read through various installation guides but none really seem that clear to a layman without the jargon. the wiring to the cdi is clear join:
    blue to blue
    black to black
    The kill switch part is confusing (at least to me). There is 2 black wires from the button on the handle bar. from readingf a lot of installation instructions it seem scetchy. one connect to the blue, but where do you affix the other wire to?:confused: is it the white wire?:confused: what does it mean by ground?:confused:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5608

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

I believe that with a 2 wire kill switch, 1 wire goes to the blue/green connection and other gets grounded to frame

3. highrider

highrider Guest

the dax install gives me the impression that the other wire on the kill switch connect to the white wire.

"STEP 9- Mount your Coil. Tip...Use 2 high
    quality zip ties . Go up and over and around
    the coil and zip tie it to the frame. Loop one zip
    tie up and over and also through the holes
    that would normally have the screws going
    through them. This is a better method than
    using the screws that come with the kit. You
    will have a more solid mount and not break
    the coil. It is not hard the break the coil ears
    off using the screws...Wire Connections...Blue
    to Blue and Black To Black. Also..Tie Kill
    Switch to the Blue wire. The White Wire is
    Generator and has a Max Output of .5 A 7.5V.
    Anything that draws more Current connected
    to the white wire will kill the motor.
    Also..If you
    have a coil with the green wire instead of the
    blue, then go Blue to green"

4. highrider

highrider Guest

I see, so is it safe to summerise that one goes to the frame? I did a simple diagram to show illustrate (correct me if I am wrong). their are 3 wires sticking out of the engine (blue, black and white), the cdi has 2 wires (blue and black) and the kill switch has 2 (both black). The white shouldnt be used for the kill switch and the other black attached to the frame?

Attached Files:

• Wire.JPG
      Wire.JPG
      File size:
      12.2 KB
      Views:
  5. highrider

highrider Guest

ZBox site says they should be attached one to the white wire and nothing about the other wire. Does it really matters?

"INSTALLATION OF THROTTLE / KILL SWITCH

1. Fit twist grip throttle to right side of handlebar. On some bike handle bars it may be necessary to ream out the handle ID to fit the bar so that the throttle will twist freely.
    2. Join one kill switch wire to white wire from magneto and earth the remaining kill switch wire. This will ground ignition and stop the engine when the red button on the kill switch is activated.
    3. Keep all wires away from heat of engine exhaust. Secure wires with a plastic ties.
    4. Attach the carburetor to the engine intake tube and tighten clamp screw. Mount carburetor as level as possible and attach throttle cable."

6. blade381

blade381 Guest

wireing kill swich

anyone please help
    my kill switch has 2 wires one black with a metal ring at the end of it and one red spliced I know the red one goes to the blue from the engine but were does the black go to the black wire from the engine or do I ground that wire to the frame? please help looked around the site but know one seems to have the same black wire with that ring on the end of it if the black wire goes to black from the engine why did they but that ring on the end.

7. azbill

azbill Active Member

it is to ground the switch
    the eye is so you can tighten it to a screw or bolt
    I put mine to the lever mounting bolt
    (then it shorted and shocked the carp outta me :-x)

ps I know this is your first post, but it is always better to post in a similar thread and bump that thread up the list
    there is an excellent search feature at the top of the page

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  8. blade381

blade381 Guest

So what part of the frame should a put it any were that is away from my hands?
    thanks for the help

9. thatsdax

thatsdax Guest

What I did was..

For the Dual Wire kill , I put one wire up in the Black, and one up in the blue. That will crow bar the black and the blue together and kills spark. I stripped enough back so I could shove them up into the barrel connectors. So..When you mash the connectors together, mash your wires up inside of them. Makes a good tight connection too. Enjoy the ride..

10. blade381

blade381 Guest

ok I get that so what about what I said is that about right ground wire on frame any were away from my hands

11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

azkronic was being helpful when he told you to find (SEARCH for) an existing topic to post your question in. he was being extra helpful when he gave you a decent answer anyway...the moderators have a job to do, your job is to help them do it.

so here's what i did...i merged your repeat-topic into this existing topic, which was only 4 or 5 lines down when you posted yours...

better have a look at how forums operate: http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

as an MBc member, you're responsible for doing your part to help keep the place organized. i think maybe you should think about posting in "introduce yourself"...maybe you'll get a personal feel for the place and be more careful about where and when you post.

so, have you solved your wiring problem, or do you have more questions?

either way, this is the place to talk about it :cool:

12. atcspaul

atcspaul Guest

i got an 80cc motor and kill swith wires were red and black. i hooked the black to black and the red to blue and works fine

13. V 35

V 35 Member

If possible, ground to engine itself, not frame. Paint and rubber cushioning might mean poor ground. Engine = excellent ground. If you put kill switch on black wire, it may / may not work. Connect kill to blue [ or green ] wire, not the black one, as that is
    sort of a ground. Test kill button before riding !

14. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Old Post's

Hey V 35, Just posted a post about "0ld post's" and noticed you responded to a 4 year old post. I think they have it figured out by now. I did that ONCE as a noob, to a three year old post.(didn't notice the date) It's no biggie, Just does'nt really help anyone. You can post anywhere, anytime and anything you want, I'm no one to tell you anything. Just suggesting that it does no good to respond to a post from 2007. I think they got it by now.
    Thanks,
    Yer MB.c brother.
    Big Red.