Clutch manual clutch, engine, mounts, and now I'm stuck

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by RB_2, Jan 6, 2010.

1. RB_2

RB_2 New Member

I'm new here. This is my first post other than my introduction post. I've searched the forum, vendors, and the FAQ but didn't find an answer to my question (Of course I didn't find it, I'm a male. Any women here? They always seem to find things when men can't). I have several engines I can mount to my bike ( 25cc Poulan from a Weedeater Featherlite LE, 36cc Zenoah from a RedMax chainsaw, a 28cc Kohler(?) from a YardMachine 2800M, an Eager Beaver (36cc?) and several other engines I can choose from.

All the engines are in decent to excellent condition. I would like to mount
    a clutch (manual with handlebar mounted lever), and jackshaft for gear reduction, and drive the small chainring (40T) on my bike.

I can't seem to find a clutch kit, yet alone a clutch kit to fit any of these engines. Also, how do you start these engines once they have been stripped of all the plastic housings? Will a Bendix gear recoil starter fit on the non-drive side of the engine? Will a recoil starter fit behind the clutch? Does
    anyone here offer an instructional DVD for sale?

I'm not new at this sort of thing, nor am I mechanically challenged but I am just a little perplexed.

BTW back in the old days I decided I needed a better racing bike for my commute to work well, at least that's how I justified it. It was a little like saying; it's taking me too long to get to work, I need a faster car. Maybe I'll buy a used Formula One Ferrari from last years racing season". Yeah, this bike didn't make much sense as a commuter, and I no longer race (fast bike, old tired engine) but I just had to have a bike of my own design and fabrication. I wasn't about to spend (back then) $500 for a nice used Colnago, besides, to build my bike only co$t me...oh, let'$ never mind that....

Here's a link to a photo or of my bike. Yep, I really did build it, frame, seat post, jig, and geometry:

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/rbuchananlogman/?action=view&current=DSCF2522.jpg

The bike also goes to show that I do have some skill, but for some reason converting a power plant to a bike has me stopped in my tracks. Anyone, anyone? Looks like I need more than a few suggestion.

I have several road, and mountain bikes to use as a test bed. I have no plans to power my aluminum racing bike, though it would be fast.

I can also switch to a Honda 4 stroke if that would work better, but right now I would prefer to keep the R&D phase cheap.

-Rick

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015

2. professor

professor Active Member

You are out in no-man's land, as far as I can tell. There was one post here involving a featherlite. It was direct drive friction, I think. I also think you need a clutch.
    Spend some time here gathering info.

3. why not skip all that work and get a 2-stroke kit that comes with a clutch and all the parts for $109.
    zoombicycles.com

4. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

you may be able to bolt one of those engines up to a gebe kit or a staton kit... can you post a picture of the bolt pattern for the clutch???

5. You might consider using a centrifugal clutch. I believe there are centrifugal clutches made for or that will fit all of the engines you mentioned. All the engines noted should have come with a recoil starter, so if you need one a dealer will be able to hook you up. A dealer/repair shop probably has lots of junked engines you could scrounge parts from very cheaply.