New performance bike build

Yup, I had one of those on mine for a bit, and 5-7 heaven was so loud on one ride we took it off my bike and put it on his. It is just a "bit" sharper on the note, and seems to have a squeak more pull without it. I am thinking of putting it back on to quiet mine down on the commute, I always think it is loud until I ride with 5-7 and his GP460 monster!

Had a great week commuting to work! There was a pretty bad traffic accident Thursday, and traffic was backed up for miles! (At 0520!) I went up the side and passed a ton of people. Made it to work on time thanks to my bike!

I did pick up the little CRF 70 for my son. I LOVE the exhaust on the bike, it is so quiet and smooth. Hmm...maybe upgrade and steal it for my bike! :unsure:

My bike is setup for speed and commuting. Now I need a trail machine to ride with my son. I have been looking for a GT LTS bike with no luck. I might just find a project dirt bike to ride, will see what I stumble across!

Attachments

• richard honda.jpg
    richard honda.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 277
Halfway on the commute today, I got the dreaded wode-open throttle bog. That is how I melted the piston the last time, sure sign of going too lean. So I stopped to investigate (in the dark), and it was revving way high at idle. Obviously, an air leak. Got the headlight off and looked, and the cap on the carb (where the cable threads in) was broken halfway around. I tighten it with pliers to snug it, and I guess I got carried away!

Luckily, I had gum in my bag. :unsure: Chewed a piece fast, and stuffed it in there. After that it ran fine, and idled down normal. :D

I have some spare parts thanks to fix it, so will be an easy swap, and back on the road!

Chuck an O-ring in that cap if you haven't already dude. The same size that fits the manifold also fits perfectly under the cap. I think I need to lean my mixture out again as we have just gone from 13-15 degree celcius days to 35-40 degree celcius days in the space of two weeks and all of a sudden my bike is running rich again :mad:

O-ring on the cap is a great idea. I already had one on it, but for all those newbies reading, it makes sure to keep it sealed!

Enflamed and I must be twins separated at birth!

I had an OLD Topeak beam rack and bag on the bike, and I spotted a cool plastic trunk at my local bike shop. This is a daily commuter, and I wanted security and a little more hauling capability. When I got home with the box, I noticed my beam rack was 3/4 cracked! I carry a fair amount of tools/spares, and must have finally over loaded it. I used that rack since 2001 hauling groceries, etc, and never had a problem.

So I ordered a frame mount Topeak rack with Pannier supports. It had to be the disc brake model for my bike. Got it all back on now and ready to go! Looks good to me!

I commute in the dark, you might notice my LED valve stems (bright!) and safety jersey! I want to add like a cateye 1100 tailight on the top of the trunk, just for more rear visability.

Ed

Attachments

• newrack1.jpg
    newrack1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 265
  • newrack2.jpg
    newrack2.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,822
The cable stops on the top tube add performance to the brake and gear systems: There is less length of cable housing that can compress, so the results are more accurate movements of the cable and more stopping power.
I like how you used the stops but added cable housing for a dust cover and better looks. Nice job.

V-brakes should be more than enough, and the pads are easy to change with a hex key and a business card (for toe in adjustments if you don't like to just wear them till they quite squealing.)

My first build was my cheap beach cruiser just to get my feet wet and see how this hobby goes. I have had over 1500 fun miles on the cruiser and it needed a little work. I also met my friend 5-7 heaven with his 40MPH Dragon Lady and decided to build something to try and keep up better. I like the happy time quasi-motorcycle look, and decided to go with that and a shift kit. I have a pedal commuted for years, living in Seoul and Tokyo and othe places around the world where biking made a lot of sense. So I had a 2000 Trek 4300 that I rode for years. It is a solid frame that fits me well, and has that 'old pair of jeans' familiarity. It is much lighter than the beach cruiser, has a suspension fork, and should be a very good canidate. It does have the top exposed cables, but can fix that easily. It is pre-disc brake, but I plan on converting it soon.

I got my new zoom 80cc slant kit and twist shifter today. I can start messing with that stuff and mount up the engine when the shift kit gets here. I was very happy with the speed and packaging of the zoom kit. The black paint job is pretty bad, they missed several big spots, so I will paint it up before installing too.

I plan on doing the regular upgrades on this motor, and will def do an expansion pipe ASAP. My goal is upper 30's, maybe even 40MPH. :cool:

Build pics to come soon!

Just an update for all, the bike is still together and doing well. I snapped a rear mount stud on the engine, I did not have the kit mounted quite right, I think it was not firm on the frame. I got the broken parts out, but did mess up the engine block some. A bigger stud and tap fixed it OK, but I have still have some alignment issues. I went ahead and ordered a Grube GT-5 kit, and I think using the SBP mount will be better (The powerking had the 2" front mount, so bolted in. I may use the PK motor on a backup bike.

I also added on a nice set of Big Apple tires, they were $100 for the set, but ride super smooth, and have a cool refleector strip built in for my night rides!

New pics in a few weeks, I have a business trip this week and can not work on it. :(

The last few posts have been very interesting! Thanks for info.

re: broken throttle cable cap/pliers. I used pliers on mine too, but tried very hard to resist cranking down on it. I used 2 wraps of Thread Seal Tape as the instructions suggested.

I have the O rings from Sick Bike Parts that were for the air intake tube where it meets the carb. Putting one in there did improve the modulation of engine throttle. I didn't know if the second one was a spare, or if it was meant to go in the throttle cable cap.
Mine idles ok, so I guess the thread tape works.

re: runs rich on warmer days.
I thought mine might need an adjustment after going from the 20:1 gas mix to 32:1, so I changed the carb by one notch on the needle. It runs great on acceleration and WOT, but "4 strokes" some at half throttle unless under load uphill. I guess I will put it back one notch. Haven't seen any fuel coming from the muffler so I guess its useable this way, but that hi/lo sound of "4stroking" is annoying!

What is the plastic bin from? I like it. If you use that frequently, how do you like the conventional top tube tank? I would go to a rack tank if I used a big box like that. Good luck! Awesome MB.

Back