New performance bike build

I couldnt live without my disk brakes I don't think. I have started commuting work and even with the disks, pulling up suddenly when a light changes or a cager looks like they about to kill me takes some doing especially while down shifting at the same time.
On another note I have hit 38.5mph on mine now. Today I finally got a new air filter which seems to have increased performance **** loads. I have had to richen the fuel mix right up. Should be interesting tomorrow to see how I go on the way to work. I might catch you yet Ed :D

http://www.pocketbikeparts.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=CGAF301895_BK&Search.x=27&Search.y=15

The air cleaner does seem to help a lot!

I got all my parts from E-Bay this week, and hit my local shop for a new rear rim with disc mounts. Put it all together, and it sure does stop better! I also knew my rear rim was out of true, but did not take it in since I planned on upgrading. The bike feels even more stable with the new rear rim. I also just like the looks of the brakes, has a more performance look of course :)

Are you going to try that new billet head enflamed? I think my bike is pretty good as is, but can always use a bit more!

I have had the head on for a few weeks now. Very happy with it. I did a bit of a write up here: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=22704
There is still one hill on the gravel/dirt trail home that I cant conquer under engine power alone but it is rediculously steep and with pedal assistance I can make it up whilst spinning the rear wheel every so often.

I have found with my new cleaner setup though that I can't seem to get WOT rich enough. Ive just drilled out my jet to 1mm and its nearly there but still not quite on the money. Otherwise though, mine is running great!

Did my first commute to work this morning. I thought I had put pics up last night, but do not see them now!

I put a military reflective disco belt on my trunk bag, stole the wheel reflectors off my son's BMX bike, and wore a reflective vest too! I am riding to work in total darkness (0500), and inattentive cagers are my biggest concern!

Going by car, I take the "interstate" highway, of course the bike is surface streets. It is 30 miles round trip, and surprisingly did not take much longer either way.

On another note, I hit a long wide open stretch of road, with just a slight downhill and slight tailwind, I hit 57 MPH. :devilish: It was still going, but traffic was ahead and it was a 35MPH zone, so I backed off.

It was a lot more fun than driving my Grand National to work! :helmet:

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 217
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 232
WOW that is nearly 92kmh. I think I would be ****ting bricks at that speed. It would be funny though to be keeping up with my mates KLX250 s as his tops out just over 100kmh.

When I started commuting on mine leaving about the same time I decided I needed a better rear light. I upgraded my two little $10 LEDs to the biggest Cateye unit available. I want to buy a high vis jacket as well as I often have to wear high vis clothing at work anyway but its just too cold in the morning to get away with wearing only my high vis shirts.

How are you finding you saddle on long trips? My butt starts to really feel it after 20kms or so of riding. Mind you Adelaide roads leave a lot to be desired. Resurfacing doesn't seem to exist in this state lol.

My local bike shop has a nice locking box for the rack that I plan on picking up soon and mounting at leas two lights on.

Cold commutes are not a problem here :) I just wear a yellow reflective vest over a long sleeve t-shirt.

I have owned this bike since I bought it new in 2001. I put almost 5000 pedal miles on it, and it was a daily commuter for many years. I think the saddle is molded to my back side now, it is very comfortable. I also have been biking most my life, and am very used to the saddle. No problems with that area at all!

Hawaii roads also are not top notch, but probably are better than yours!

I know enflamed's ride is almost a twin of my bike, I just can not imagine any setup better than this for a MB commuter. I keep up with traffic easily, rides nice and smooth, and stops on a dime! Now, I just need to see how reliable it is!

Congrats ED,

i loved getting back and forth to work on the MB, about the same distance.

totally psyched and READY TO ROCK when i got in.

from the pics, it seems if someone can't see you from behind they're in a coma.

speed is cool when you're solid and smooth, eh !?!

steve

Sure Makes the commute more interesting! I have a decent amount of refectors, just want more lights. Cateye is making new wheel lights, plan on getting a set of those soon.

Bike seemed a little noisy tonight when I pulled in at home, and had some oil seepage at the head, so checked all the bolts out. The head was a bit loose, everything else was OK. My rear tire is worn about twice as much as my front, they are just cheap road tires. Will look at some good upgrades soon, but also may rotate them just for now.

I wanted to see 60 MPH on the bike, just to say I did it, but 50 is really too fast. I am happy cruising at 40-45.

One of the neighborhood kids has a little Honda CRF70 I might buy for my son. The kid wanted to race my bike this weekend, so we took off. He was not even close :) I think that KLX250 would out accelerate me though!

Haha yeah well it is a real motorbike and this years model :D I think hes just picked up a pipe for it and had the 300 big bore kit installed. Apparently it goes a lot harder now.

On another note (no pun intended) I just removed the lawn mower muffler from my exhaust to see what its like as I have never run it without. Sounds a lot better and not really much louder. I'll have to go for a bit of ride this afternoon to see if its made much difference to performance.

Back