New performance bike build

It is certainly safer! Hawaii is one of the no-helmet states though. Still strikes me a crazy to see a brudah on a crotch rocket in flip-flops and board shorts! (See it everyday!)

My freewheel took a dump after the off road journey. Sand gets into every bit, and must've messed it up. It locked and would not freewheel, I was about 5 miles from home, so I put my feet up on the front forks and motored on in!

I wanted a HD replacement, but out of stock for now, so I got a regular and will take better care of it!

With the long range cruises me and 5-7 are doing, keeping enough gas has been a problem. We found these 4 liter replacement tanks on E-bay. I got mine from boy go fast. It arrived pretty quickly, but was really scraped up and looked terrible. So I slapped some rattle-can white on, I think it matches the bike better. With a full gallon in the tank, and carrying 2 liters extra, I can cruise 150 miles, which covers the around the island loop easily.

I also picked up a little electric pocket bike of craig's list to mess around with for my son. It is the old 18V style, so a 24V or 36V upgrade is needed. It was only $20, so could not say no!

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 264
  • pocketrocket.jpg
    pocketrocket.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 237
LOL, it should be a fun little bike when I get it together. Could not say no for the price!

So, when my freewheel went, I was running the bike trying to figure out why it was dropping off at WOT. After an extended run, the motor would just drop RPM until it died. It would then start right back up, and run ok for a bit. I was thinking clogged fuel filter, etc, but all that checked OK.

Started checking it again, and the problem was worse. Turned around for home and BANG! No compression. :(

I have had a similar thing happen on a MC, and pulled the head to find what I expected. Hole in the piston. I guess I was too lean! I had been watching the plug, and it was a pretty decent light tan, but dry. I may have had a small leak with the boost bottle intake, I did not use RTV.

Luckily, I have some spare parts around, so I pulled the piston out if my 1st engine and slapped it in. I also resealed everything, and dropped the clip on the carb 2 notches. Took it for a test run, seems to have just a bit more vibration, but the plug was oily after a good WOT, so I guess better to be safe than screaming lean :) It still hit 42-43 pretty easy, so not much power loss if any.

I took some pics and will have them up soon!

pics of the carnage!

Attachments

• piston1.jpg
    piston1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 307
  • piston2.jpg
    piston2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 271
  • engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 264
hum. haha

i had an old three wheeler that did that a few years back. wouldnt take half throttle in 4th gear and 5th was never there, i only had 4th gear for an idle speed holder. i guess thats what was going on.
the bottom end bearings were also worn beyond belief so all around it was just shot. started up with a good running hop gear jam tho everytime and is still alive lol

great hueggly bueggly !!

THAT is one tough engine, it escapes me how it started or ran.

i've done in 2 pistons and cylinders on the Gp460 and just as soon as a hole the size of the shaft of a straight pin opens up it's all over. it won't run again until new parts are installed.

maybe this is relative to the lower C/R of the H/T ? maybe the crown of those pistons is thicker than the 460 units too, that would allow the area to spread wider before going thru.

with these tiny little 2 strokes, the first they show outstanding performance we better shut them off for an inspection tear down, 'cause, "it was running GREAT just before it stopped"

sorry about the distruction, glad you had spares.

steve

Wholly piston batman! It ran like that? Re-reading your story - sorta ran then didn't. It does look lean....

....So, when my freewheel went, I was running the bike trying to figure out why it was dropping off at WOT........Started checking it again, and the problem was worse. Turned around for home and BANG! No compression. :(.......

Lean bog at WOT is a definite "red flag", especially with two strokes. Looks like the resultant pre-ignition blasted a hole in the piston. The gray color of the piston crown is the result of tiny bits of piston literally burning off and leaving that dull gray pitted surface.

Definitely look into a larger main jet the next time around. If there was a leak at your boost bottle, it would have upset the idle mixture. So if your idle was ok, chances are there were no air leaks.

Good luck!

Back