New performance bike build

Engine is all stock for now (just a NGK plug an a wire), but do want to mod it some too, just wanted to get the drivetrain sorted. I hope SBP gets their expansion pipe in stock soon, preferably in black :)

Ed, nice job on the install but I did notice that you did not assemble the chainrings correctly. The large sprocket goes outside of the freewheel flange. This increases the space between the chainrings. This will also help with chain alignment since you are using a narrower than suggested spindle.

Don't feel bad this is a common mistake. If you have any suggestions on how to make the instructions clearer let me know.

Thanks! I am going to order the right jump stop and redo it. I realized my mistake after looking at it again too :) Do many people run the narrower spindle?

Looking forward to when you all get the black expansion pipes in stock :)

Love your kit, it is well designed and executed :)

Ed

Thanks for the compliment. Should have the pipes in shortly.

Most people run the supplied spindle but we have had a few try and use the narrower ones. It just typically leads to chain alignment problems. But if you know what you are doing it shouldn't be a problem. Once you get the chainrings remounted I think you will be fine.

Wow nice build. I can't beleive the speed you are getting already. Mine stuggles trying to get anymore than 34mph. Does the slant head and 11 tooth really make that much of a difference or am I doing something wrong?! I have "80cc" skyhawk with expansion chamber and boost bottle.

Took Ghost's advice and flipped the sprockets around on the freewheel, and got a lot better clearance on the frame! Had some problems with the rear sprocket jumping, and traced it back to the chain had gotten pinched one one of my failed attempts at alignment lol. Straightened it out, but this chain was the orginal Trek with 1000's of miles, so I got a new one today and it is silky smooth.

Took it out tonight, everything went great. Was cruising at 35 easy, got it up into the upper 30's by revving it out in the lower gears. That was in 7th, gotta wind it up good to hit 8th, and there was a lot of traffic tonight. I have small-ish tires on this bike, and it is light, but I think the 11 tooth helps, I am very impressed with the slant head! It is smoother running than anything I have experienced. I certainly want to get my hands on an expansion pipe and give that a shot. I have a new regular engine, and would love to swap it in and see how that runs, but the shift kit is too much off a pain to redo it all just for a test :)

Had a few comments on 'no way' for 40''s with this bike, so I decided to double check the speedo. I zip-tied my GPS onto the handlebars, and they were within 1 MPH of each other :)

Met 5-7 Heaven for a weekend ride, and we hit some of the nice Hawaii country side. Head winds do hold me back some, I could only do 30 on some parts. I had a slight tail wind on on long flat, and wound it up to 46. That was at the top of 6th gear. With an expansion pipe and some mods I might hit 50 MPH :) That was not tached out, but 35 is still the best cruising speed. I help 40 on our main rode heading back into town with no wind.

I was also carrying a large assortment of heavy tools. I decided to weight the bike with a full tank and no tools, and I got it at 56 lbs, so I guess that is a light-weight MB too.

I was able to keep up with the dual-engine dragon lady that 5-7 runs, but he took off on the windy parts, just not enough torque. We are planning our 100 mile around the Island loop, I wanted to be close to keeping up with him. :D

So overall, I think this is about he best I could possibly hope for out of a little happy time kit. :devilish:

Attachments

• ewa2.jpg
    ewa2.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 307
Man, what a ride today!:devilish:

I motored down to meet Hawaii Ed about 16 miles west. After breakfast, we rode further west to Kapolei, about five miles away. There were nice long stretches of road. At some points, "The Dragon Lady" hit 43mph and Hawaii Ed topped 46mph.

Ed, you can lead when there are headwinds, and I'll ride point with the tailwinds.

Like Ed stated we're planning a 100-mile ride around the island.

Part of the road that connects West Oahu to the North Shore is washed out. If there's a path safe enough to walk or ride our bikes we can save maybe 35 miles of backtracking.

That part of the island is the most beautiful and picturesque. Can't wait to see it!

Last edited by a moderator:
i think this winter im going to put togeather a real mb commuter with the SBP kit and disc brakes. the whole shebang, because, if your hitting 46mph with no sweat id really, really REALLY like to use gears lol

Back