New to the Motorized Bicycle Scene

decompiler

Local time
5:29 AM
I have made a few posts but I haven't really introduced myself.

I'm 36 years old and I live in Columbia Tennessee USA. Back when I was younger I was a bicycle fan and enthusiast. I never had a lot of money to spend on bikes. Just used whatever pieces of junk the local Goodwill stores sold. Sometimes my older brothers would give me a good bike. Time went on and I got older. My priorities changed and I stopped riding altogether – even though my brothers continued to ride!

While being a bicycle fan, I was also a scooter fan as well. But never had the money to buy me a scooter. Even now I would like to buy a motorcycle for long trips out in the open air. But my fiance assures me that I will only get a motorcycle over her dead body. And she means it! So I have to stick with a good 'ole motorized bicycle. And that doesn't mean I HAD to settle for a motorized bicycle. I have been wanting one ever since I heard about them a few years ago ...despite the fact that motorized bicycles have been around for at least 80 years!

So why build one NOW?

Well, there are people who are content with nothing less than some $100,000 car with state-of-the-art everything. And then there's me. Who is satisfied just being out in the open, under that beautiful afternoon sun, feeling the breeze on my face. I really love being out in nature. And building a motorized bicycle helps stay out wher I love while simply being able to get around better.

Yeah, okay. But wait! What else makes me want to building a motorized bicycle? Well, I'm standing in a gravel lot where a used car is listed for sale. It seems like a good car that looks like it was treated well. I'm here looking for cars because the last car I had bought turned out to be a lemon. So I'm here in the lot buying the car from the owner. I hand him the last bit of money I own. He gives me the title and I'm off to the court house to get the title signed over and new tags. It's the second time I've been there in the last three months since the last car I bought broke down on me. Yeah, I have the worst luck in the world.

So I'm walking out of the court house flat broke. I am about to give the last dime I own to get the oil changed. Only to have to turn around and swap the tires with a new set from a previous car that was no longer running because the set that was on the present car were in bad shape. So me and my fiance are sitting at the tire shop, officially destitute until she gets paid again and I'm starting to have this fantasy about whizzing around town on a motorized bicycle I had been reading about. A motorized bicycle that doesn't take 4 wheels. That, here in Tennessee, doesn't need a title and registration. That doesn't use $90 a week in gas. Something that, when it breaks down, won't take $1,200 to fix. Something that I don't have to call a wrecker when it breaks down. I could just pedal that thing home!

It's then I make the decision to begin learning how to make my own motorized bike. I want to be out in the open, under the sun. I want to build me a bike that will help me get around town without having to worry about traffic jams or cops trailing you trying to find any reason they can to ticket you. (Well, not that they can't ticket you on a moto bicycle either...) As long as you own a car, you're just looked at by cops as the city's money well they can dip into every time the police chief and city council needs a new pool in their back yards.

And I need to lose weight. I've gotten fat and pudgy as of late. I need to get back to free-wheelin' days of just being on the go and out in the wild, zipping aoround town on my bright orange Kulana Wild Dog.

Last edited:
G'day man & welcome to MBc.
Nice intro and i think you'll find that once u get the bug there'll be no stopping u.I looked up your other posts.
My suggestion is don't buy a kit from Boygofast...their poor quality and you'll do much better paying a bit more and getting something from one of our sponsors.It doesn't necessarily have to be one of our sponsors if u don't want...any descent kit will do.

I love you man. You will find that a whole lot of us here are in exactly the same vote as you. Yes,in my youth my bikes were NEVER new. Always built from scrap. It's funny though how today bikes are generally MUCH cheaper than 25 years ago as far as people just wanting to get rid of them. Never have I have been able to aquire so many free things today that when I was a youth I had to really save up to get.
Remember. You are setting an example for the entire world! Carry on soldier!
WELCOME to MBc.

Finally posted the Intro eh? Welcome to MBc Decomp. You already love it here so no use in me telling you that. Great Introduction by the way. Enjoy

Thank you very much for the kind words!!

I have to admit there's another reason I want a moto bicycle. I know that riding a moto bicycle won't exactly be sticking it to the Man but I hope it sends a message that I'm going to suckle on the teet of big oil companies either. I hope that one day on the road I will pass someone who has a realitive who knows someone who knows someone in the government. That I'm seeing chugging down the road on my gas SIPPING motorized bike. That I make an impression on that person that filters down all the way up to somone in position to take note of a fat guy on a motorized bicycle somewhere in a small town in middle Tennessee USA. I hope they are talking to someone influential when they say: "You know, there's a growing number of people who use alternative means of transportation to side-step high gas prices? Like this fat guy in Tennessee. He was seen buzzing around on an orange bike with a motor on it. How are we, uh, going to tax that?"

I'm not exactly sure zipping around on a motorized bicycle is Green. But maybe someone else will see me and want to build a bike themselves. (Or enough people will ask me about my bike and I could start my own business!! It's always nice to have a dream.) Maybe it will start a local movement towards motorized bikes in this area.

Or maybe no one will care and I'll just go on my merry way. Happy to blow past everyone sitting in traffic. Hemmoraging money at the gas pumps.

Hi Decompiler.Welcome to MBc! Home of many answers, and awaiting your ideas.

General request to all new members.
Please, before posting any questions, do a search. Then READ,READ,READ.
There is a ton of information here. Many of your engine and performance issues in the Garage & Tech/Mech Help have already been covered. Here at MBc we are the home of nearly all MoteredBike questions. If you search and are unable to find your answer, don't hesitate to post your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :D

Last edited:
Thank you Graucho.

I am a searchy kind of guy so I will definitely heed your advice. I am always first to do a search for an answer before asking about it in the forums. This cuts down on repeat posts that clog up the message board.

Back