Fuel Mixture Ran a whole tank of gas with practically no oil by mistake!

That sound was gone for a while. I was mixing around 20:1 to be safe. I decided to try 40:1 and this was I think my second ride at 40:1 and the sound came back. I guess I'm going back to 20:1 for the remainder of its life.

If you run a smokeless synthetic like the Lucas blend it will help keep the bug spraying look away.

Attachments

• 0503011536[1].jpg
    0503011536[1].jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 260
Drove it for an hour today on 20:1, no bad noise. 40:1 is maybe not so good for these motors.

I was told by some German guy to run it (66cc engine) without any oil every once and a while but only with a few ounces to clean out excess oil build-up. I've done it a couple of times and it didn't hurt the engine. Of course half a gallon might have been too much. I have busted around six or so rear engine mounting bolts (bad angles, now the rear of the engine butts up against the seat tube), have had a cracked frame since around 500 miles (frankenmount holds it now), gone through two cdis (insides always fall out of the plug wire), broken several spokes (tried using the pineapple sprocket mount on 12 gauge spokes), two wheels (too many broken spokes on one), three chains (these things bind links [41 roller chain] easy, even with weekly lubing), two clutch wires (need to lube regularly) but I finally think I am getting the hang of these things. Probably not. Regardless, I've managed to get 1,917 miles out of this engine so far (knock on wood). I have a spare 66cc waiting in the wings for the eventuality of engine failure. All in all though it has been worth the experience.

Anyone who advices a person to intentionally run a 2 cycle engine without oil knows very little about engines. The O.P. made a mistake and is dealing with it but to run any engine without oil is unwise.

I can tell you one thing for sure: a German guy would never tell you to run a 2-stroke engine without any oil; Germans don't give that kind of moronic advise.

My German neighbor did. I guess that goes to show that stereotypes can be wrong. He tried the MB hobby for about a year and it kicked his *** so he sold his bike already. This hobby is no place for those with weak constitutions. I've been running my engine about 36:1 since break-in and haven't had any problems with it at all. I only tried that advise twice with 3oz of fuel on top of fuel with oil so theoretically it still had a mixture albeit slighty lower. Instead of asking what nationality they are I'd be better off asking what their professions are. Thanks for clearing that up.

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is."

Lets start with your next door neighbour. Firstly i would question his nationality, just like America is questioning Obama's nationality. He might say that he's a German but he could be a very convincing impostor; being fluent in German character duplication of Stalag 13 in Hogans Heroes.
Please ask to see his birth certificate and if he's cagey he won't be able to provide it from a perfectly organised set of chronologically structured paperwork files; set in colour coded manila folders.

I have worked for a German company, stacked with Germans from top to bottom. I can tell you that a "real German" and by real, i mean a German who typically has "no sense of humour and can't smile and doesn't understand the concept of laughter; being grim faced all the time,,,yes,,, a real German "does not" give advise unless he/she has thoroughly researched the subject in question.

I would put money on the fact that your German neighbour is a very convincing impostor, because a "real German" does not give up when problems seem insurmountable; they just keep chipping away till "the correct solution" is found.

You are completely right in saying that this hobby isn't for those built with weak constitutions and ideally apropos to someone with the grit and determination and unrelentingly persistent constitution of the Teutonic character.

Did i say that i've worked for a German company :geek: because i know a German when i see one and i can smell an impostor when i see one, especially an impostor that gives advise to run a 2-stroke engine without lubricating oil.

I have worked for a German company, stacked with Germans from top to bottom. I can tell you that a "real German" and by real, i mean a German who typically has "no sense of humour and can't smile and doesn't understand the concept of laughter; being grim faced all the time,,,yes,,, a real German "does not" give advise unless he/she has thoroughly researched the subject in question.

I would put money on the fact that your German neighbour is a very convincing impostor, because a "real German" does not give up when problems seem insurmountable; they just keep chipping away till "the correct solution" is found.

You described him perfectly. He is always grim faced and never smiles or laughs. However he is now with an American woman. I imagine she had quite a lot to do with him tossing in the shop towel. We live in an apartment community also. Regardless, He is a big guy and has told me many stories of his bar brawling days in Germany where it was a bad day if you did not head butt someone in the face or get headbutted for that matter. I think I'll just trust his word. Maybe he is Austrian pretending to be German or was heavily fluoridated in his childhood. I really don't care either way. I don't plan on taking any more advise from him.

Back