Fuel Mixture Ran a whole tank of gas with practically no oil by mistake!

I just got my tensioner and clutch working good and I pulled a really stupid move. I dumped a bunch of gas in my 2 stroke can without adding any oil. I was in a rush and though I'd do it later but forgot! There was a tiny but of mixed gas in there, maybe 10%. So after about a 30 minute run, just getting home I hear this really loud metal banging noise, not a good sound at all. next day sounded better but noise came back after 15 min. then I let it cool, and ran it another 20 min back home. After all that I then realized I had no oil in my gas. I mixed it up double strong, poured a bit of oil right in the spark plug and ran it a bit. It's louder than normal but running for now. Has a bad knock when turning over without the sparkplug. How screwed is this motor now?
Ran with no oil..Time to buy a new engine..unless you feel like rebuilding it. one of my friends ran my one of my bumblebeebolton with no oil one time made it about 4miles before he noticed a power loss..he ended up buying me a replacement for engine for $90..

You can ride out a piston seizure, by grabbing the clutch, A lower end failure could jam up clutch, resulting in wheel lock, a case
failure could be painful.

I would try restore engine treatment, which is made for cars and you can buy all over the place. That stuff isn't an oil thickener, it has CSL (coppersilverlead) in it, which builds up on friction surfaces. It will fill small scoring and bring tolerances back into check. It isnt supposed to be used in 2 strokes for pollution reasons, but you can dump a little bit into your gas tank (of mixed gas), shake it for awhile because it might not mix easily with gas, and run it for a while. Or just dump it down the spark plug hole and start it up (what it says on their site for 2 strokes). And yes it will smoke like mad.

I dont own a ht but i think they have a brass bushing for the bottom end. When not lubed those bearings will easily get 2mm of side to side play in them, which may be your noise. If this is the case i would replace the con rod and possibly the crank if it's damaged. But if this isnt it i would just run it.

Help, The wife and I ran almost straight gas in a Yamaha Vino 50cc scooter. It ran great for 8 miles, then started bogging down, then died. Tried kick starting the hell out of her, Finally got her to start with the throttle full open and got it almost all the way home. She turns over and wants to run after sitting for a few minutes just doesn't want to idle. No knocks or strange noises. Added oil to the gas, should I find the plug and pour some oil down the hole?

I just got my tensioner and clutch working good and I pulled a really stupid move. I dumped a bunch of gas in my 2 stroke can without adding any oil. I was in a rush and though I'd do it later but forgot! There was a tiny but of mixed gas in there, maybe 10%. So after about a 30 minute run, just getting home I hear this really loud metal banging noise, not a good sound at all. next day sounded better but noise came back after 15 min. then I let it cool, and ran it another 20 min back home. After all that I then realized I had no oil in my gas. I mixed it up double strong, poured a bit of oil right in the spark plug and ran it a bit. It's louder than normal but running for now. Has a bad knock when turning over without the sparkplug. How screwed is this motor now?

I did the same thing a few months back, had a brain fart and i estimate i was running about 100:1. Maybe i just got lucky or maybe something terrible is coming soon, but either way ive put about 80 miles on it since then with no noise or issues. Good luck.

I did the same thing a few months back, had a brain fart and i estimate i was running about 100:1. Maybe i just got lucky or maybe something terrible is coming soon, but either way ive put about 80 miles on it since then with no noise or issues. Good luck.
Your luck was probably that you put at least some oil in it and that you probably didn't abuse it when it was like that. Sometimes you seize and break rings, other times you just seize because the piston is too hot and starts catching the cylinder, which makes it hotter and larger and more resistant to moving. If you put 80 miles since then I wouldn't be too concerned about anything other than the cylinder wearing out prematurely since damage almost definitely had to of been done, at the very least stripping a bit more chrome than normal.
Help, The wife and I ran almost straight gas in a Yamaha Vino 50cc scooter. It ran great for 8 miles, then started bogging down, then died. Tried kick starting the hell out of her, Finally got her to start with the throttle full open and got it almost all the way home. She turns over and wants to run after sitting for a few minutes just doesn't want to idle. No knocks or strange noises. Added oil to the gas, should I find the plug and pour some oil down the hole?
You probably toasted that one, if you aren't able to get an idle then the cylinder or piston/rings are likely in bad enough shape that it can't get enough compression at low rpms to stay running.

Your luck was probably that you put at least some oil in it and that you probably didn't abuse it when it was like that. Sometimes you seize and break rings, other times you just seize because the piston is too hot and starts catching the cylinder, which makes it hotter and larger and more resistant to moving. If you put 80 miles since then I wouldn't be too concerned about anything other than the cylinder wearing out prematurely since damage almost definitely had to of been done, at the very least stripping a bit more chrome than normal.

You probably toasted that one, if you aren't able to get an idle then the cylinder or piston/rings are likely in bad enough shape that it can't get enough compression at low rpms to stay running.

I dont know what i was thinking, i grabbed a little bottle of oil that said mix with 1 gallon for 50:1, so somehow i came to the conclusion ok mix with 2 gallons makes 25:1 perfect! Lol not very proud of that

I dont know what i was thinking, i grabbed a little bottle of oil that said mix with 1 gallon for 50:1, so somehow i came to the conclusion ok mix with 2 gallons makes 25:1 perfect! Lol not very proud of that
That makes perfect sense, next time halve the one instead for that math to work. I think 12.5:0.5 is a good ratio.

Back