Registration in California is not possible and not required

I had a really easy time getting registered. I sent in some money, the form and like a week later I got my plate. It looks so legit with it on there :) I put the bike serial number for the vin, made up a number for the engine, said the make of the bike is a GT and said the make of the engine was HT. SO I got the plate and the registration card for a moped and is says the make is GTHT. I guess they're never heard of Happy Times. Anyway, you just have to have an M2 endorsement on your licence, wear a DOT approved helmet and you're fully legal, which from what I've heard, is the golden goose in Moteredbiking. I'm so stoked, I even rode it and waved at the fuzz as I passed right in front of them. They got a kick out of it.

Successful credentialing in California

Congratulations Labdude. That is great news. I just got my plate and id too. The turn-around from DMV was pretty quick. I wanted to try a couple of things out on my bike tonight so I taped the plate to it and put a few miles on. The one thing that I wanted to avoid was the need for the M2 license addition. I have a medical condition and I am voluntarily not driving my car. So, I figured if the bike didn't require licensing I could putt around like it was a bicycle and still meet the spirit of my doctor's request. Anyway, way to go. Thanx for letting me know. This is good info for California motored bicycle fans.
-Raulin:)

Yeah the M2 thing is kind of a joke. I've talked to people that just took the written test and got the learners permit. Technically you aren't supposed to ride at night but I guess it's better than nothing. The permit is good for like 12 months so you can just carry that around and be legal beagal. I was trying to figure out if they'd let me take my M2 test on my motored bike / "moped" but I still haven't figured anything out yet. I mean if you need the licence to ride it, you should be able to take the test with it right? I guess, time will tell. Anyway congrats raulin. It's a good feeling to get legit.

LabDude, you *can* take the skills test with a moped or motorized bicycle. You just show up with it for your appointment and they will put you through the test. I posted a link to videos on here about what that test entails (it's super easy and will be easier to pass on a MB than a motorcycle). You can also take your bike to the local DMV and practice on their course on the weekends.

Thank you to everyone who contributed CA-relevant info on this thread. It's made it much easier for me to get a handle on everything I need to do to avoid problems, and more importantly, the best way to meet those requirements with minimum hassle.

I'll probably end up taking one of the weekend motorcycle clinics to qualify for an M1 just because the license requirements give me a good excuse for the wife. :)

-AG

-Quick reg 230 question-

At the top where it asks for vin, engine and make, it also asks for "California License Plate".

Is this left blank as I don't have my moped plates yet or are they for some reason asking about my current car plates?

My thought is to leave it blank but I just don't want to get my form back saying it's incomplete!

First, make sure you send in $18. (I sent in $17, the listed fee on the receipt was $18 -- and they issued my plate anyway! Heh.)

Leave the license-plate field blank. I did. Should be marked 'office use only' but they forgot to grey out that box.

-AG

230 question

I left it blank on the one I submitted for my plate last November with no problems. The plate came 27 days after I sent the form in. Good luck!

"License Number"

Hi, guys think about what that form does, it transfers, handles lost papers requests, and creates new registration, that is why there is a slot for License number.

Mike

Back