So who here has been pulled over on a MB?

I see where you guys are coming from with just slapping an engine on a $99 Walmart special. I would venture to say that many of those bikes fall in the dangerous category without any kind of engine on them. My thought process automatically defaults to the higher end bike parts or as Gene mentioned adapting parts from other performance vehicles such racing karts (which I have a lot of). BTW SX your guess is way off if you think I've never bicycled over 25mph, hahaha! These days I just don't do it riding junk. A quick scroll through my bike computer shows 52mph max speed on my last ride, and I remember clear as day which hill it was on as I bottomed my front fork toward the end of the run. Fortunately stopping is not a problem as my 6.5hp MB has 4 piston hydraulic brakes w/9" dia. rotors front/rear and weights 104 lbs.

According to Florida law. It is against the law to drive a registered and tagged vehicle in a bike lane. Gene also has a motorcycle not a bicycle according to RS-68 because his motorcycle has an engine on it that is greater than 2HP and it can go in excess of speeds of 30mph.

Everyone is not rich and doesn't have the money to build an expensive bike...the whole point of MB's was to allow a person that's trying to get to work, or etc to have transportation....I agree that an engine on a $99. bike is not the best idea....but I've seen some of these trash bikes as you people like to refer to them that last for several years...Life does not end if you lose you license...for whatever reason, you still have to get to work and such....RS 68 killed all of that...so you priviledged have fun with YOUR hobby...

You are exactly correct everyone talks about horsepower but rarely does anyone talk about brakes. Stock brakes are totally inadequate at speeds over 20. So are most tires and rims. Being dangerous can also mean for the rider. I spent quite a few bucks on the best double wall rims I could find and tires and I converted to hydraulic front and real Go kart disk brakes. But it is still a bicycle.
Hey Gene which brand rims and tires did you end up using on your MB? Also how did you mount your Kart hydraulic calipers. I have a bunch of Kart stuff left over from my short lived mid life crisis Kart Racing career. Hahaha

Everyone is not rich and doesn't have the money to build an expensive bike...the whole point of MB's was to allow a person that's trying to get to work, or etc to have transportation....I agree that an engine on a $99. bike is not the best idea....but I've seen some of these trash bikes as you people like to refer to them that last for several years...Life does not end if you lose you license...for whatever reason, you still have to get to work and such....RS 68 killed all of that...so you priviledged have fun with YOUR hobby...
I really don't get you beef. Before Tl10 changes and RS68 you were illegal. Now there is a pathway to be legal for those who wish to be legal. You still can remain illegal. So what is your *****? I don't get it. You still can build an inexpensive motor bike and ride until you are ticketed or arrested. Nothing has changed for you. As far as being rich. You can find kart brakes complete with disk,caliper , hose , and master cylinder for under 25 dollars. So at least you can stop. You can buy better tires and tubes for under 20 dollars. So stop complaining or walk. I bet your sneakers cost more.

Hey Gene which brand rims and tires did you end up using on your MB? Also how did you mount your Kart hydraulic calipers. I have a bunch of Kart stuff left over from my short lived mid life crisis Kart Racing career. Hahaha
I have a Schwinn Spoiler and the rear rim was single walled. An aftermarket Chopper company sells double wall rims for the 20x4.75 rim. I laced it with heavy duty spokes and special nipples. I used a heavy duty rim belt and purchased the best tire for that size. Many guys are using a real motorcycle tire but I had to think about clearance problems to consider. The Front Rim is a Surly Large Marge Mountain Bike Rim very beefy. The Spoiler came with cable disk brakes so mounting the rear and front floating caliper was easy. There are adapters for any bike to mount a disk brake caliper without welding. So with the price so cheap it is hard not to have hydraulic brakes and also get the benefit of a micro switch built in the master cylinder for the brake lights. One other comment someone made about battery power and head lights. My bike is equipped with a DRam Front hub dynamo which produces 6 volts for the head and tail light. My lights have a "Stand Light" powered by capacitor and charged when moving. When stopping the capacitor keeps the led part of the head light on as well as the tail light for about 7 minutes so stopping at a light you still can be seen. I also have spent the afternoon detuning my Morini back to 2 hp so I can be legal.

I think we can all agree that, "they ones who ruin it for everybody" are the DUI guys who lose their driving privileges but continue to drive mopeds, motorbikes, scooters, etc while under the influence.

Timbone

I can agree for sure but what amazes me is can you think of an activity which is illegal rightfully or not and finally it is recognized that laws can and are changed to make that activity legal and the people who were partaking in that activity illegally are p*is*ed off the activity is now legal? I swear I cannot.

I can agree for sure but what amazes me is can you think of an activity which is illegal rightfully or not and finally it is recognized that laws can and are changed to make that activity legal and the people who were partaking in that activity illegally are p*is*ed off the activity is now legal? I swear I cannot.

That is an interesting point. The other side probably would argue that the motorbikes were already "legal" - maybe not codified - and now new legal regs make motorbiking - as it was - illegal.

Back