Staton Twin Engine Gearbox??????

My take on customer relations:
Many of the venders we use are one man shows. If they are like Dave Staton, they are busy making parts, assembling parts, packing parts, shipping parts, and rebuilding parts.
If they are the phone with you, they aren't doing the other stuff. Some of us stay on the phone too long, ask too many stoopid questions, and all the time the machines are quiet. You can't pay for quality machines unless they are working. You can't build quality parts if you aren't paying attention to the process. This is not Walmart.
The other side is Blow by you. Terry Blow worked hard at making a go of it. Decent parts prices, lots of variety, good customer relations, "how to" videos, and he built bikes too. Look up his website. He's having to go to work doing something else to feed his family. Vince @ Venice told me he gets 150 e-mails a day, and it makes it hard to get work done answering all the e-mails and telephone calls.
I've bought from Staton because when in doubt, buy the best. I hate having to redo cheap stuff. I'll keep trying until I get through.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment of the situation. It can be tough for a small business guy to do all/be all so you end up choosing priorities that keep the lights on. Might not be able to please everyone. I've never had a problem getting what I need from Staton but I understand guys like him and I'd guess he knows the difference.

Last edited:
My take on customer relations:
Many of the venders we use are one man shows. If they are like Dave Staton, they are busy making parts, assembling parts, packing parts, shipping parts, and rebuilding parts.
If they are the phone with you, they aren't doing the other stuff. Some of us stay on the phone too long, ask too many stoopid questions, and all the time the machines are quiet. You can't pay for quality machines unless they are working. You can't build quality parts if you aren't paying attention to the process. This is not Walmart.
The other side is Blow by you. Terry Blow worked hard at making a go of it. Decent parts prices, lots of variety, good customer relations, "how to" videos, and he built bikes too. Look up his website. He's having to go to work doing something else to feed his family. Vince @ Venice told me he gets 150 e-mails a day, and it makes it hard to get work done answering all the e-mails and telephone calls.
I've bought from Staton because when in doubt, buy the best. I hate having to redo cheap stuff. I'll keep trying until I get through.

I understand your point and that evry reason is why I considered buying from Staton to begin with. But I just can not see my way to doing that. speaking with him makes me WANT to take my business elsewhere, and I did just that.
To have spent all the time and money he spent developing his product, not to mention thousands of dollars on a website, ALL for the sole purpose of selling that same product and then not be willing to spend 5 minutes with me to make sure I got the kit I wanted, or hire someone with the personality to do so seems very foolish to me.
I have just purchased my fourth kit(all very good quality) from another vendor, not to mention the $2100 trike itself and all have been very friendly and informative.
No chance I will ever try to do business with Station again. And everyone that asks me about him is going to get a lengthy explanation as to why:)
BTW the kit I bought today was from Jacs....a simple design but looks like quality and the service was excellent. I will be riding this kit cross country this Spring and will review it thouroughly....but mostly I will just enjoy the ride.

Well the sprockets were only 9 bucks each so I got all 4 they offered. Im planning another cross country trip out to the redwoods and up the PCH in the Spring so I will need to change the gears when I reach the mountains and figured I would just try each and see what works best as road conditions change.

So how many teeth on every sprocket?

I think I got an 11 tooth gear and a 23 tooth gear and two gears that are somewhere in between those two. I put the second largest gear on it and took it for a test ride today. I think its 17t but I could be wrong. Anyway with that gear it runs about 28mph with my Hondagx35. I will try the biggest gear when I get the gp460 fixed(I broke a fuel line nipple before I even started it the first time)and mounted...It should go about 45mph then.

Im really looking for more load hauling and climbing ability than high top speeds. I figure me, my Catrike, my dog and all my camping gear will weight about 375-400 pounds. Flat FLorida is just a test run....my father and I are going west in the Spring. He has Rhoades car(probably illegal) and a Briggs Animal. It should be a blast!.....if I do a blog, I will let you know....if you get bored enough to peek in:)

What size sprocket on the rear wheel?
What kind of chain are you using?
JMO, try the 11t for either engine. The low gear ratio will allow both engines to make low end power. The 460 can rev at least 4,000rpm higher than the Honda. It will need the 11t (not the largest engine sprocket) to reach 45mph without a sweat.

Back