Staton Twin Engine Gearbox??????

Its a 72t on the wheel and 17t on the engine, for now. I JUST took the inaugural run today in fact. I had a lot of trouble(all my fault) with the chain slipping because I had the sprocket poorly centered on the hub so tension waxed and waned as the sprocket went round and round....but it is all good now.
It is a little slower than the friction kit I had and is maxxing at just under 30mph but it climbs a little better than the friction kit did. But this is just a starting point....I havent even put the 460 on yet. Im sure I will be adjusting the gear ratio when I do....or maybe not, I dunno. But til I fix the broken fuel line nipple on the 460 I will be riding the Honda GX35(A few more days at most) and this set up works nicely for that engine.
I should be headed out on a 2000 mile round trip to the Florida Keys in the next couple of weeks and I will really get a better feel for the kit and the HO engine during that trip....and a lot of good camping and fishing along the way. My dog (Doc) is really looking forward to it!
Here is the video if you're bored and want to watch....there will be more scenic additions in the future which I will post on my eBay ME page so my collectors can watch(I'm an artist)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbvBqmKu-Ik&context=C3546a92ADOEgsToPDskIFEH1uJAAFxo7afNig97s0

Thanks for all the advice!

Hey demolition_dave1,

I'm really glad you're up and running. Are you running the pocket bike 5:1 gearbox? If so, your gear ratio is 21.18:1, which is great for low and midrange w/the Honda engine. With the 460 engine, your bike should SCREAM!

I'm gonna check out your video now.

Im not sure what the gearbox ratio is, but 5 to 1 sounds pretty reasonable considering the speeds Im getting...I guess I could do the math based on wheel size and engine RPM. Whatever it is it works well....would like a little more speed though. At least enough to outrun the neighborhood dogs. Im sure I will get that out of the 460....easy.

Speed!

I am presuming that you have the 5:1 pocket bike gearbox.

You will get more top speed if you swap in your 23t sprocket. Gear ratio will raise to 15.65:1. Low end torque will suffer a bit.

When you install the 460 engine, install the 11t and shorten the chain.

In order to swap back and forth between engine sprockets, buy a few master links (Again, I am assuming you have the 8mmT8F pocket bike chain). When you break the chain and shorten it, take note how many links you had to remove to use the 11t sprocket. If it's 6 links, then discard 2 of them and install 2 master links in their place.

That way, it'll take just a minute or so to shorten and lengthen the same chain when you change sprockets.:unsure:

Back