The Hot Rod Whizzer

Well she's all but done...
8)
166_HPIM0199_2.jpg

Next week we're off to the VMBC meet in Indiana!
Hope to meet and greet some of ya'll there...

Sorry for the meltdown fellas! I lost my cool and I feel I should appologize publicly for my display, it was not at all apprpriate nor was it necesary in a public forum.
It's all good and help is on the way :D
It's not the spark we have gone over that repeatedly in our working with this over the past three days (and nights), although I was given a very helpful tip in that respect that I will be taking care of tonight...
It is a defective carb dumping fuel at an awful rate. When the plug is pulled and it is dripping with fuel, there's a problem. I am recieving a new mukini 26mm, and we will go from there! This will also ensure the availability of parts out there, should the need arise, though I doubt it will.
Thank you for the suggestions and tips everyone! What I greatly appreciate about this community is that it is, in fact, a COMMUNITY; the way folks are willing to jump right up and dive in to help a fellow motobro out, it's just awesome and really not to be found ( to the same degree) in any other hobby. Thanks all!
She'll be purring in no time soon, I'm sure of it... 8)

uncle_punk13 said:
Sorry for the meltdown fellas! I lost my cool and I feel I should appologize publicly for my display, it was not at all apprpriate nor was it necesary in a public forum.

no need to apologize rif, we all sympathize with you :eek:
I, for one, assumed it was the anger talking 8)
it always amazes me how much emotion these things bring out in a person :D

OK good to hear you have a handle on it. Sunk float, or bad needle seat, or bend the tab that sets the float height. A new carb will work but get the old one to work also and (master your machine). LOL Have fun, Dave
Egor said:
A Honda Rebel! It would be the easy way out but then it is just a Honda Rebel. I have worked on a few of the Whizzers in my day, I have two friends that have them, I hopped them both up and they blaze. I would not blame the carb and jets never will get an engine running, it's the spark. I know it is sparking touching the head! but that will not get the job done in the compression. If it was lean you would use the choke, if it was fat you could turn off the gas till it ran good, those are the indicators. I am not convinced that the electronic ignition is a good idea, when it works it works, but there is no forgiveness, but you have to use it. Disconnect the kill switch, and you might have to figure out how to disconnect the key switch, they both ground out the coil to stop the engine, if there is the slightest bugger in the switches, well you know. I love the look of your bike, don't lose your focus, this is all about having fun. ( A Rebel ) Have fun, Dave

PS: If you go to anything else go to the (Vincent Black Shadow), YEA Google that. I worked for Honda for 10 years.

Hey thanks again all, onward and upward...
I will master that carb, just not right now. I don't have the time to futz with it.
I do feel the same as Indian Larry felt (and stated) in that I want to master every aspect of the machine; wheel building, engine building, frame building, etc.
Well, I've got to finish my coffee and get back to work. I've got to pick up more supplies, and get some more of my tooling out of storage, and unfortunately, turn in a job application so I can go back to work in the aerospace shop upon my return from Indiana. It's a good gig (weekend shift, full bennies, and four days off, so I guess it's a good deal), I just prefer my freedom, and the randomness of each new day being a new adventure full of new potential and promise... 8)
Anyway, gotta get rolling and get that bike rolling.
Thanks again everyone!

Hold on! I had the same trouble you are having and yes, I walked away a few times talking to myself including giving it a good swife kick. That is the same carb I have and jets are available. I ordered 2 different sizes. Each jet size came in a pack of 3. I needed only 1 and sent the rest to Quention. He will now have the 2 sizes. I think you may have his number but just incase, here it is again: (252) 475-0406. As Dave pointed out, it may be the float valve not seating or something else as simple.

I know this is a more difficulate engine to install. My clearances to the frame in some places were about 1/4" and had several other challenges as well. No question about it, It's slow going and just takes time. I'm sure you will like the end result and next year you will have something real nice for Portland and with the bugs worked out. As I stated in an earlier posting, " When it all done and dialed in, You will really like the performance".

Buy the way, I'm not a sharpie trying to talk down to you. I just went through the same stuff not long ago with mine and know the feeling.

Hey Bill, thanks for the support. It's nice knowing that I was not the only one having a few glitches.

I haven't taken anyone's help/suggestions as being a sharpie and/or talking down, I learned a long time ago to listen, even if it's the basics, for everyone has a fresh perspective, and everyone can offer something.

My dad tells a story from when he first started teaching (back in the mid sixties) in an agriculture program with developmentally disabled folks at a vocational school for these folks.
They were setting in fence posts in the rather rocky soil; my father, having grown up in a rather desertous region, was taking the rocks and chucking them away, as they had always done while he was growing up. One of his students looked at him in a curious manner and stated, quite simply,"My dad puts the rocks in the hole around the post; makes it stronger."
My pop just looked at him and says, "Huh. What do ya' know, that's a pretty good idea! Huh." and they continued on. All the while using the rocks...
The lesson he tried to teach me with that being to listen, really listen, because everyone can offer something. Never dismiss someone's ideas or perspectives.

Anyway, at 1:30 A.M. I walked in the house after having taken her out on the first ride!
I rode (gently) 2.5 miles round trip, around the block.
There is a lot of adjusting, re tightening, and re-fitting left to do, but darn it, I don't feel so bummed and it looks like I'm going to be off to Portland, Indiana on Tuesday!!!
She's running mediocre yet- the belts are loose and slipping, but there's definately power and speed to be had there. I believe her to be a real fireball.
Basically what I did was to put the thing away for a day, do stuff that was related to the trip, but not the bike, and then went back at midnight tonight, and started over. I reset everything to the begining, and started the process fresh:
First, check for spark- good.
Check the plug gap- good.
Re-check the float level- done.
Re-set the needle- done.
Re-set the mixture screw- done.
Re-set the idle screw- done.
Pedal like mad- "Pop, Pop, pop".
Slight adjustment, pedal- "Pop, sputter, blap, blat, blap, Pop"
Slight adjustment, pedal- "Vrooom, sputter, vroom...."
Adjust from there...
Test ride...
pour coffee, smile, and relax...
and hope that tomorrow will yield a similar result. My worry is having unreliable starting and such but we shall see, yet still I find that I am cautiously optimistic.
And once again all, thanks for the help and everything. My appreciation and gratitude are beyond words...

glad to hear it!! im happy you didn't give up U.P. l hope the trip will be a better experence, than trying to get ready for it. have fun and be safe, we will wait for your report :cool:

I just talked to Quenton about the trouble you are having. He said to please give him a call.

I took one of my Whizzers out today ( Woodstock engine that Ralph put together) and wouldn't you know, It just plane stopped running. That happened a couple of weeks ago also and I thought it was the plug and replaced it. Ran fine then after a mile or so same old thing. but after it cooled down a little it started right up, so I was able to make it back home, almost. Just before reaching the drive way it started cutting out again. SO, now it's my turn to do so some trouble shooting. That's one reason I called Quention

Back