The Whizzer "Ambassador" is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here is the rest of the story!
First the bad news, I just don't like the "streamers" from the handle grips, but I kept them on so the test would be as close to "as delivered" as possible.
However I did make 2 changes during testing, but wasn't necessary, and only changed to make me happy. The changes were removing the mushroom lifters, and removing 20% of their weight, and removing the intake manifold and re-aligning it to better fit the intake path.
I really expected to find a lot of issues with the Ambassador because it is a brand new product, but it just wasn't to be. Whizzer did send me a set of heavier springs for the starter drive and a set of shorter bolts to replace the OEM battery cover bolts, but the bike was working well, and I did eventually upgrade the parts. And I will have to comment on Whizzzer's dedication to making sure every Ambassador owner is completely satisified. As a few minor issues surfaced, Whizzer was quick to send upgraded parts and information through it's dealer network. I am just thrilled so far because the minor issues were centered around a few bolts [not defective, just needed to be a smaller size], and a couple of springs, really great for their newest release. 99.9999% on the money! Only fair to warn everybody "Ride one and you will buy one" might be a slogan that is realistic in promoting the Ambassador.
And here are the highlites, seat, over all looks, handlebars, controls, electric start, automatic clutch, black metal flake paint, wider 3" tires, wider fenders, foot pegs, large head light, trun signal, tachometer, speedometer, turn signal switch [really neat], round adjustable mirrors, front forks, engine power [lots after break-in], low riding position, long "stretched" frame, and the DISC BRAKES. Let me take the time to again mention the brakes, make no mistake, this bike will stop right now!
Because of the different clutch ratios, the Ambassador [heavier by at least 50 lbs.]will leave the stop sign rather quickly. I plan to add a little more power to the SE motor and change the pulley ratios because I have long straight aways on most of the roads I ride. I want to make more of a "crusier", instead of a 1/4 mile rocket ship.
The SE motor on the Ambassador is far more powerful than the stock NE motor, but there is still a lot of un-tapped power within. One thing for sure the Ambassador is rugged enough to travel at slightly higher speeds, but more importantly, it can stop quickly from any speed.
If you want to be part of the history of Whizzer, get yourself one of the limited [first edition]edition Ambassadors.
Did I mention how great the brakes are?
Have fun,
Whizzer OuterBanks
Quenton

Ambassador update,
Over 700 miles, did make a change by removing the streamers. I did put them in a plastic bag in case I deceide to put them on at a later date [not likely]. We just finished our "Bike Week", but I did manage to ride and park my Ambassador in between hundreds of Harleys, and drew a major crowd in a few seconds. Sure is a nice ride, and I just can't believe how well those brakes work. I plan to take the Ambassador to a big event in Dawson Springs, KY in a few weeks, hope to see a lot of the members of this site there. Sure is hard to leave the bike "stock", but I am resisting the temptation, just can't help thinking what it would be like to ride it at maybe 60 MPH.

Have fun,
Quenton

Quenton - I was reading all you have to say about the Ambassador and all of its components, but I was wondering about the brakes! you have not said much about them. LOL, I guess it is safe to say they are good. I was noticing that it looks like it has rear suspension, if true I have not heard anything about that. Could you fill us in on what they are like, or is it just springs for the seat? I like the bike, but I have to say I am a purest, and am fond of the original with the two speed gearbox. Did your original one have the two speeds? Have fun Dave
PS: I got caught up in the early Honda craze and the Whizzer was not considered. You know it was all about the gears, 50cc, 4 speed and a hand clutch, WoW we had fun. I have collected 4 of them now. With the gears a 50 will go over 200 mpg.

Hi Egor, Both of my original Ambassadors had the manual clutch with the EZ Glide arm. A friend of mine Terry McAllister rebuilds the Bi-Matics, and even uses one on his new edition Whizzer with the OHV kit [74 MPH on the dyno a couple of years ago]. I rode his bike last year at Dawson Spring, KY and liked the way it works.
The Ambassador has rear shocks, but I want to find lighter shock springs because of my weight [170 lbs]. The ride of the Ambassador is outstanding, and is very easy to adapt to. It is about 50 lbs heavier, wider tires [large], a very wide seat, and good balance.
Have fun,
Quenton

Hi Quinton - I thought that was a swing arm! I noticed the position that it connected to the frame was in line with the drive belt, as it should be to keep the belt tension correct. It is too bad that the Bi-Matics, are so expensive it would be nice to adapt one to the Happy Time bike. I have never seen one apart, it must use a planetary gear set. Are you considering one for your bike? Have fun, Dave

Hi Dave, Yes I am considering using a bi-matic as soon as Terry finds me one cheap enough to rebuild. Most of the time the good ones sell for about $750.00.
Have fun,
Quenton

Just returned from the Whizzer/Cushman show in Dawson Springs, KY. The Ambassador was well received at the show, and many rode it. Jimmy Masters was aboard as the new Whizzer logged its first 1000 miles. I took the new Ambassador on 2 rides [many hills] and it easily stayed with the Cushmans & other Whizzers. I had many offers to trade it and or sell it, in fact one person offered to trade even for a Honda gold wing [1992], but I didn't have a way to bring the larger bike home in my mini van.
Have fun,
Quenton

Hello Quinton - Were you able to get any pic's of the bikes at the show? I love the Cushman's, I think you will have more fun with the Whizzer than you would have with that Honda. You must be in a good place to put miles on the bike. It is hard here the traffic is so bad. I get a lot of looks and questions about the mileage but everyone is still taking off from the signals like they are at Lyon's Drag Strip, they want better mileage but not willing to do anything about it. Have fun, Dave

Hi Dave,
Sorry I only had time to take a few pictures. One of my firends was going to run my camcorder, but was needed to watch the finish line instead. Send an email to quincy163@yahoo.com and I will send the few I have your way. I was able to win all of the races I entered, and was asked to race a few other Whizzers for my friends [won all those races also]. Most of the pictures are of the bikes I raced or raced against [before the race].

Have fun,
Quenton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back