Upgraded Disc Brake Question

Finally got the brakes on the new bike. had to make a adapter for the rear as these bikes have no tabs. I decided to use the existing holes in the dropouts to make a double plate adapter rather than welding on the frame. The back plate rests on top of the drop out for the full length, and everything is graded bolts and blue locktite. Feels pretty solid.View media item 60822View media item 60823View media item 60824
Did you keep the fenders on your other bike like this? I'm asking cause I'm interested in knowing which fenders are safe and which are sh!t?

Say it KC. I was wr-wr- wrong.
KC was WRONG about the 1/2 link chain, I haven't used it much but that's how I run it when I do.
With over 2 years of operation the axle has not budged at all, none, zero. So item 1 your wrong, still I may incorporate one as a precautionary measure.
A 4-speed hub?
I've never even heard of 4-speed internal hub until now, I see 3-speed to 5-speed and then up.

Sound like a great hub especially if it stays in place.
What is the overall gear ratio?

For everybody else jackshafting to a regular internal hub, do yourself a favor, put on an axle tug.

AxleTug2.jpg

That's the way I do it every time to make sure and for you Gary I leave this...

headupbutt.jpg

'Nuff said.

Last edited:
KC was WRONG about the 1/2 link chain, I haven't used it much but that's how I run it when I do.

A 4-speed hub?
I've never even heard of 4-speed internal hub until now, I see 3-speed to 5-speed and then up.

Sound like a great hub especially if it stays in place.
What is the overall gear ratio?

For everybody else jackshafting to a regular internal hub, do yourself a favor, put on an axle tug.

AxleTug2.jpg

That's the way I do it every time to make sure and for you Gary I leave this...

headupbutt.jpg

'Nuff said.
Shimano Nexus 4 speed hub with roller brake. Gears ranging 184% are 1.0 - 1.244 - 1.5 - 1.843. Who did you get to hold the camera for you? Or is this a search for the chain instructions.

Did you keep the fenders on your other bike like this? I'm asking cause I'm interested in knowing which fenders are safe and which are sh!t?
Front fender bracket is 1/4" rod with a washer welded to it at the axle connection and welded to a fender bracket at the fender connection. I was skeptical about the fender connection, but it has held up well. I think it has lasted so long because the connection to the fork holds most of the fender weight, and it's a shorty fender so it's not real heavy. The rear fender is also a shorty fender. I drilled out the rivets and used a engine mounting bracket for the mount figuring if they are strong enough to hold the engine they should work well for a fender. Not one prob. with this setup for over 2 yrs.View media item 60825View media item 60826View media item 60827

I got my lever in the other day while playing with it, it appears that the way its made youll get a 1/8" of play with one side having no cable. Should be enough to though with properly adjusted brake calipers.

As far as fenders goes I am looking at running shorty duck tail fenders front and rear as they don't have any bracing.

I got my lever in the other day while playing with it, it appears that the way its made youll get a 1/8" of play with one side having no cable. Should be enough to though with properly adjusted brake calipers.

As far as fenders goes I am looking at running shorty duck tail fenders front and rear as they don't have any bracing.
I have a few sets of those. The ones I have are called Felt fenders. They look pretty sharp.

Yep those are the fenders. I hope the front ones will fit as there isn't much room between the fork and the tire on the suspended fork. But at least the rear will work perfectly and the duck tail would be a great offset piece for drilling and mounting a vintage bullet tail light on it.

Back