Upgraded Disc Brake Question

Is there anything needed to reinforce the rear fender? Seems there's more that's needed with the heavier of the two fenders.

Not sure it looks like the rear fender has the traditional two bolt design one bolt at the bottom near the bottom bracket and the other up high near the Y of the chain stay tubes at the seat tube.

Is there anything needed to reinforce the rear fender? Seems there's more that's needed with the heavier of the two fenders.
The felt rear fenders are a lot like mine. The stock bracket will fail. You should make a heavier bracket at the top of the fender like the one in replies 105 and 111 and use a wide fender washer on the bottom.. I haven't tried this style fender on the front so not sure if the double bracket will hold up. Sure wouldn't hurt to make another u bracket to slide over the existing one from under the fender. Especially with that pretty Indian paint job on Rusty's. Wouldn't want a fender to come loose and gouge that.

I will have to see how they look when they come in. I really don't have a problem with removing the poprivets and using some nice button head bolts with larger washers under to spread the load out better.

Fenders how ever are still low on my list. I'm working on the brake system right now. Calipers I got are great the BB7 ones but only one of them I found out today came loaded with pads the other is void of pads so I cant install the rear caliper. But I do got some cable housing, cable, ferrules, and the cable ends coming in on Friday, I ordered replacement oem pads from Avid on amazon scheduled to be here Monday, MBRebel is sending me a set of pads as well so I will keep one as a spare. In the mean time I need to go look at cable assembly to see if the ferrules need to be crimped and all that nice stuff.

I also need to buy some of those motorcycle cable clamps that clamp around tubes with a raised hump to hold cables in place. Need one in black for my front fork for my speedometer cable and want another for holding the brake cable on the front between the cable holder and my lever.

Most of the failure in stock brackets I have seen are just below the bolt in the slotted hole or at the bend as it goes through the fender. If you use a stronger bracket material the fender stress cracks unless like rusty said you provide a more spread out support under the fender.
Another thing that may help is if the ends of the slot in the fender are rounded rather than square. Rounded corners are less likely to fracture. I noticed the slot ends on my fender are rounded, and could be a partial reason as to their lasting as well as they have. The more I talk on this subject the more I think about beefing them up a little more.

Most of the failure in stock brackets I have seen are just below the bolt in the slotted hole or at the bend as it goes through the fender. If you use a stronger bracket material the fender stress cracks unless like rusty said you provide a more spread out support under the fender.
Another thing that may help is if the ends of the slot in the fender are rounded rather than square. Rounded corners are less likely to fracture. I noticed the slot ends on my fender are rounded, and could be a partial reason as to their lasting as well as they have. The more I talk on this subject the more I think about beefing them up a little more.

I am really thinking of checking this bicycleheaven I found they sell antique parts and they have fenders nothing like the ones I'm looking at to avoid the support brackets as I have no place to bolt them to. But I'm curious if they are actually selling antique parts if they are those fenders might be built better than this new stuff you can find.

I found the hard rubber old school pedals in 9/16" at a ebay store called toplowriderstore. they are called VP 813 9/16. I think they have them in 1/2 too. 24 bucks free shipping.

Back