Whizzer Stretch ---- ed

Do you have a wire with 2 alligator clips on it? I am wondering if it is something as simple as grounding the engine to the frame. Take the wire with the clips and connect one end to the engine block and the other end to the frame where the battery negative wire is grounded. See if you have spark.
We had a Ford pickup at work that would act weird once in a while and it turned out to be the engine had a floating ground. It would make the sensors go crazy. We grounded the engine to the frame and the problem all went away. Just an idea.
Good luck

Jim

The $$ MONEY PIT $$

Finally got the electrics to work properly. I took Qs advise & got a new wire harness & a new regulator. This time I didn't cut out the excess wiring. Just tucked it in better & got rid of the extra spot lights.

I have found an inherent design flaw with my stretch design. It took the Whizzer set up for this beast to show it's UGLY HEAD. This is the 4th frame that I have cut & welded another bottom bracket into to house a jackshaft. This bike vibrates at higher RPMs. I spoke with Dave at WUSA & he told me that the earlier Whizzers do not have a balanced Flywheel. Another Hundred Dollars for the new balanced one. (The old another HD syndrome) Then I started thinking about the allignment of my bottom brackets. After reflecting on my Shade Tree & basic garage engineering skills, I have concluded that I could have been ever so slightly off with the allignment. I think that this, in conjuntion with the large pulley & the unbalanced flywheel is the BEAST.

I have a solution, but it will take another major mod to correct. The NuVinci is very low geared in its low range. So much that I'm going to replace the drive pulley with a smaller one to reduce the vibration & use (GASP) the 70 mm auto clutch. I also ordered a balanced flywheel.

I got the clutch & it looks very different than the previous ones. It has holes in the drum?? Hey this thing really works!

Any suggestions to improve this design??? An ongoing labor of love.... Better be cause at this rate the cost is going through the roof!!

Smooth

I got it! Took some re-balancing & a little tweak in the alignment of my bottom pulley, but it is straight & no more vibration. Wow I like this bike! In low range it climbs the steepest hills around here even gaining speed. Tops around 20 in low. In high range it goes 45 very easily. (only reving about 3000) Still babying the Q - built motor, so not going to push it much. 70mm autoclutch is working better than I expected. Electrics are good, life is GOOD!!

Glad to hear you finally got the result you wanted. It just goes to show with good materials, good direction, good skills, and a little luck you can do anything. (well almost anything)

Jim

Last edited:
Finished Pics of Stretch

Got all the chrome on & drove to the gas station. Took $4.00 to fill it with premium. Everybody sees this bike & thinks it is an antique. She sure drives nice.

IMG_1224.jpg IMG_1226.jpg

The NuVinci hub controller.

IMG_1225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta chime in about that NuVinchi Hub.
Just AWESOME.
It's so smooth when I tried out papasaun's trike the other day.
Zombie,you did it again.
I'm green once more!

Back