105V DC trike?

Local time
5:27 AM
I'm thinking on an electric trike project next. I'm a 4 stroke gas bike guy, but I'm sensing which way the wind blows.
Has anyone ever tried a 100V DC motor like you find on a treadmill? Dang thing produces over 2HP I've had it turning over 9000 RPM. (Gonna need some SERIOUS gear reduction) . First project electric, I wanna keep costs down, I thought maybe a couple (few) Greenworks 40v, in pairs, for 80v power supply? And if I do that, would I use a more readily available controller, 72 or 84. I haven't really seen any off the shelf controller for 100+ volts. Maybe saw a custom, built , on a 96v. But that's been a long time. Can I get controllers at 100V +?
Like I said, I'm trying to go lowbuck here. I alreadyhqhwvthe trike, it has the extra sprocket on the axle. So, controller?, battery?, Gear reduction/drivetrain? And the the few odds and ends that every build needs?
Is that it, or am I missing a bunch cuz im a rookie (electric anyway).?
Any and all feedback, from "GENIOUS" to "Hey! Stupid...." Is always appreciated.
Zeke.

Welcome! I haven't built an E Bike before, but if you are going this direction you could probably rob the control parts from a kids power wheels.

I could get you close on the controls with more info on the motor. Is it a permanent magnet dc motor? Or is does it have terminals for field windings? That changes a lot. I've used a permanent magnet in class and they are dead simple to wire and control.

Thanks for the help. It IS a permmag, DC motor. I have a controller of sorts for AC 120, potentiometer type speed controller, thebbridge rectifier to DC, thru a choke that I got with the motor off the original treadmill. Works good but speed control is AC. Problem I'm seeming to have is finding a speed controller that can handle that kind of DC voltage, not to mention the amps. I suspect, under load, I could see spikes of 30-40 amps or more, and sustained possibly half that... That's a lot of heat when it's DC.

Plus, I'm really kinda looking for something "off the shelf" for the peace of mind of having a manufacturer to turn to if things wear out, or break.

On the other hand, I am not above DIY (evidence the AC Controller I have now). If given simple layman's instructions, I can build most anything. I haven't graduated to Truino(is that the right word?) yet SO short of building the actual boards, I'd be interested in any ideas you may have.
Zeke

Thanks for the help. It IS a permmag, DC motor. I have a controller of sorts for AC 120, potentiometer type speed controller, thebbridge rectifier to DC, thru a choke that I got with the motor off the original treadmill. Works good but speed control is AC. Problem I'm seeming to have is finding a speed controller that can handle that kind of DC voltage, not to mention the amps. I suspect, under load, I could see spikes of 30-40 amps or more, and sustained possibly half that... That's a lot of heat when it's DC.

Plus, I'm really kinda looking for something "off the shelf" for the peace of mind of having a manufacturer to turn to if things wear out, or break.

On the other hand, I am not above DIY (evidence the AC Controller I have now). If given simple layman's instructions, I can build most anything. I haven't graduated to Truino(is that the right word?) yet SO short of building the actual boards, I'd be interested in any ideas you may have.
Zeke
This is the largest i could find in terms of amps but it tops out at 50v

10-50V 100A 5000W DC Motor Engine Speed Controller 0-100% PWM Control Industrial Motor Speed Regulator for DC Brush Motor DC Lamps https://a.co/d/2qscIaa

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Anything above 60v is considered high voltage and elevates everything into another category. Might be the reason most ebikes are less than 60v.

Back