2 broken spokes and several loose spokes.

Local time
10:32 AM
As seen here, my bike is trying to grenade a brother....

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new bike is a huffy fortress worth it,?

Or

A huffy night hawk for the disc brakes and 18 speeds?

My personal perception if it's not a goose and sits between 15/18 speeds it's garbage.

I prefer a 3 speed, 7-9 speeder, or a 21 speed.

Anything inbetween I wouldn't touch with bomb proof shelter not even if it was Donald Trump proof.

Walmart is all I have time for ATM and I don't wanna get a cranbrook allthough I heard things about it I would love fat tires and disc brakes.

No 700c please open to all wally suggestions under $100.00

Open to aluminum light weight frames as well more like goose quality.

Last edited:
I like high quality used mountain bike wheels.

The strength and rigidity of a wheel depends largely on the amount of tension in the spokes.
High quality spokes can be tensioned further because they resist twisting while you turn the nipple with your spoke key, and high strength rims can or should support the highly tensioned spokes without the nipple tearing through.

$100 sounds like a good starting point for a pair of used wheels with 2mm stainless steel spokes.

The wheels on a $100 new wallybike are likely to be garbage.

Last edited:
I would hardly feel comfortable pedaling a cheap bike, and would never want to motorize one or use those parts in a motorized bike. Everyone has their own opinions on what level of safety and quality they need for themselves, but riding a bicycle with leg power can be dangerous enough, and with a motor at higher speeds the risk goes up.

I'm laughing this one off, I tried taking this guy seriously but no.. not happening.

You can't be serious about trying to get a good bike for under 100 dollars, especially in a retail setting, and especially especially if you want something like a bare bones mongoose! If their prices are as outrageous as your 1.5k rent then you shouldn't even be able to afford more than just a rear wheel at Walmart (no tire.)

I would suggest lowballing on Craigslist since that seems like something you can do. Maybe put your welder investment into good use and use it to make some money, then you can afford something better. Or just save the 100 dollars until you have more spare cash, and once you have enough you can buy something suitable.

I like high quality used mountain bike wheels.

The strength and rigidity of a wheel depends largely on the amount of tension in the spokes.
High quality spokes can be tensioned further because they resist twisting while you turn the nipple with your spoke key, and high strength rims can or should support the highly tensioned spokes without the nipple tearing through.

$100 sounds like a good starting point for a pair of used wheels with 2mm stainless steel spokes.

The wheels on a $100 new wallybike are likely to be garbage.

Yeah but I don't want to have to order them my spokes are getting more lose by the second. I have until the 25th to figure it out, last but not least I have hell of 26 wheels 100% true and some that need trying but mostly interested in swapping out the 700c and doing a conversion to 26 inch disc brakes with an adapter.

Seeing I already have good 160mm rotors with good tires.

I'm laughing this one off, I tried taking this guy seriously but no.. not happening.

You can't be serious about trying to get a good bike for under 100 dollars, especially in a retail setting, and especially especially if you want something like a bare bones mongoose! If their prices are as outrageous as your 1.5k rent then you shouldn't even be able to afford more than just a rear wheel at Walmart (no tire.)

I would suggest lowballing on Craigslist since that seems like something you can do. Maybe put your welder investment into good use and use it to make some money, then you can afford something better. Or just save the 100 dollars until you have more spare cash, and once you have enough you can buy something suitable.
Found a good pawn shop deal....

Trek 800 with, 21 speed thumb shooters for 70 at the pawn shop
Not a scratch on yeh

It's perfectly grey with red letters and red strip matching tires...

Now if anyone knows about disc conversions I can drop my disc 26s on it.

Well with that being said I found a great deal as a ode to my generation, I am purchasing a trek 800 solid grey with the red letters, has good brakes and matching tire with a red trip on the wall.

It also has a 21 speed thumb shift system the newer kind made of aluminum, v brakes, 100% true wheels, and a suspension seat post.

For a fixer upper mechanically the intentions of replacing the pedal, and repairing the lazy shift system should be easy as butter.

Only would have to swap the front suspension with a shock and I can buy disc brake adapters with then savings at the cost of $70.00 mint body.

Not a dinger as for myself bike I'll store the wheels and sell the frame then plant those 700c vitesse on my Briggs.

As for the stick weld I can do more then one thinks I'm just a cheap skate.

If it doesn't have disc hubs then you still need rims to use disc brakes. You could build your own rims if you know how.

Back