2 stroke bike options?

bikejock

Local time
2:31 AM
I'm looking to put together a 2 stroke bike to have some fun with occasionally. What are some good bikes in the $200 price range that provide a perfect to near perfect fit?

I used to have a 2 stroke bike but sold it a long time ago so I've forgotten a few things about the mounting requirements for 2 strokes. How much space in the frame is needed for the seat tube clamp & the front down tube clamp for a perfect fit? I'm thinking of getting a 66/80cc flying horse kit which looks like a pretty generic 2 stroke kit.

So, what are my options for bikes that fit 2 strokes?

Steel mountain bikes and steel beach cruisers work best. Brand is not so important. The older, the better. Mild, tensile steel frames work better than chrome moly, to me.

I probably would need to spend at least $300 or more on a bike if I want it made from decent steel. I think some $200 or less bikes would probably crack over time from the stress of the vibration. At least the 2 stroke engine kits still sell for under $200 usually. Leaves me more room in my budget for a decent bike.

One of the things that bothers me about 2 strokes is they have very limited mounting options compared to 4 stroke mounts like the 4G kits have.

Might try searching local bike shops around my neighborhood for a decent bike for around $300. I think I saw a Schwinn coffee at my local Schwinn dealer that looks like it could mount a 2 stroke. I'll have to bring the engine in to see if it can fit because buying a bike online is tricky when trying to tell if it could fit a 2 stroke.

Last edited:
I had a $75 Walmart huffy cranbrook that pulled my rather large carcass around for almost 3 years. When I decided to switch over to a 4 stroke, the engine I was using at the time would not fit in the cranbrook with the stock carb, and I couldn't afford a better carb and intake manifold at the time, so I scrapped that frame and bought a reproduction (not Chinese, American made) schwinn cantilever frame from a buddy for cheap. Now I am using a 1956 road master frame that I got in a trade from another buddy, and a 79cc predator which ironically would have fit in the cranbrook. I trusted that cranbrook frame with my life. Now, wheelbender gave you some really good advice about older bikes, which you seem to have glossed over because you still seem to be thinking/asking about new bikes. I could be wrong, but that's just how it seems to me. Now if you are only interested in advice about new bikes, that's ok, not everyone wants a used older bike. But I personally happen to second wheelbenders advice. If you can find an older, especially American made, frame especially for a good price, jump on it. This roadmaster frame I got was made I'm Cleveland and it's a brazed steel frame with double top bars. The welds are in excellent condition, and this frame is going to be a lot stronger than any brand new bike I guarantee it.

What are some good mountain bikes for $200-$300 that can fit 2 strokes? I think a mountain bike would make a good 2 stroke build. I would prefer something with a suspension fork in the front. Also U brakes would be preferred because disk brakes would get in the way of disk brakes.

I'd say at this point your question has pretty well been answered. Not to sound like a smart***, it asking it again and again is not going to change the answers that have been given. Its obvious that you want to spend $2-300 dollars on a bike regardless of the advice that's already been given, so you go ahead and do that.

Thinking about a Giant Simple cruiser for the 2 stroke. Think this would be a good fit?
Simple-Single-Black.jpg

Doesn't have much for safety features but I can always add to it like brakes and stuff. Base price is $330 which isn't bad for a new Giant bike.

Seatpost is a 27.2mm and it looks like I would need to use a U bolt adapter for the front down tube.

Might also need to do some custom work to get a front suspension fork on it.

Don't trust your life on a rear coaster brake! Try to find a bike with V-brakes on both wheels. A motorized bike goes way faster than pedaling, skidding out can be a disaster.

in ad, bike is NOT a cruiser, so not comfortable for long rides - also brakes are caliper which are sometimes too weak for motor speeds

Back