Engine Trouble 2 Stroke Overheating, Symptoms and Causes

Mickey112233

Local time
2:55 PM
What's the symptoms and causes of 2 stroke engine overheating and how to prevent it?

I future, please do not have everything in all capital letters, it is totally unnecessary to do so and tends to turn most people away from even wanting to read it as it is considered to be screaming and yelling rather than conversing in a civil manner...Thank-you...DAMIEN

Running lean is a major reason for overheating. Another is running WOT too long.

Symptoms of overheating is it will die, or more commonly with these engines they will lock up.

Overheating is the death of these engines. These engines are cold blooded, much like @DAMIEN1307 😆

I must apolligize for my lack of knowledge of how forums run, I am only new to the use of computers, internet and I type with one finger,funny right? So my thread concernig the overheating is I live in Las Vegas the temperture is generally 100+, I use the bike to commute to work 30 miles a day with extremely long wait time at traffic lights. I think the combination of wrong fuel mixture and cheap Chinese build with quality control non existant I overheated the engine as I did not follow proper break in procedures, I am now rebuilding top end. THanks for your help and knowlrdge

Basic tips for high temp operation.
1. Don't idle for long, especially if you just got done accelerating and then had to stop again immediately. 30 seconds is usually my cutoff time. Some guys shut down almost immediately, which may not be a bad idea.

2. Oil. You will hear guys talk about 40:1 or 50:1, but in high heat or high load scenarios, oil is what helps absorb and cook off extra heat, and helps keeps internal temps more stable. If your engines "normal" mix ratio is 32:1, I would suggest 25:1. Using less oil to save money is like cutting off your legs to lose weight.

3. Carb tuning. I purposely dial in my carb tuning to be a bit on the rich side to help with keeping the engine to run cool. It may 4 stroke a touch more at part throttle, but I can live with that if it helps my engine run happy.

Basic tips for high temp operation.
1. Don't idle for long, especially if you just got done accelerating and then had to stop again immediately. 30 seconds is usually my cutoff time. Some guys shut down almost immediately, which may not be a bad idea.

2. Oil. You will hear guys talk about 40:1 or 50:1, but in high heat or high load scenarios, oil is what helps absorb and cook off extra heat, and helps keeps internal temps more stable. If your engines "normal" mix ratio is 32:1, I would suggest 25:1. Using less oil to save money is like cutting off your legs to lose weight.

3. Carb tuning. I purposely dial in my carb tuning to be a bit on the rich side to help with keeping the engine to run cool. It may 4 stroke a touch more at part throttle, but I can live with that if it helps my engine run happy.
Also, when the temps are higher, the heat helps atomize the fuel so running richer is a good thing. Right Martha?

Back